PDA

View Full Version : Got 25 cherry shrimp shipped

Lady Hobbs
12-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Got them yesterday, shipped from Ohio two days prior. Insulated box with heat pack and their little bag of water was ICE COLD! Poor little guys. I think the seller must have used a 24 hr heat pack which is not enough for priorty mail. The shrimp were white and not moving but come around after warming up.

But, as I am looking into the tank with my magnifying glass trying to see how they were doing, I see a bunch of baby fry swimming about. I dropped some moss in the tank for the shrimp that apparently had fish eggs in it. Don't know what they are but the moss come from the glowlight/neon tetra tank so it's got to be one or the other. I assume glowlights.

Cliff
12-02-2010, 01:04 PM
I hope your shrimp are going to be OK.

Sounds like your not the only one that gets surprised by finding eggs once in a while. When I had diamond tetras, I wuold occationally find some eggs or a few few fry swimming around. I would always see the other fish swanning, but I never really could tell when the diamond tetras were spawning.

Wild Turkey
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
They usually recover from cold pretty quick, should be just fine if they are still alive at this point.

Congrats on the unexpected fry!

Sarkazmo
12-02-2010, 05:41 PM
RCS are tough little shrimp, they can survive down to near freezing. They'll be ok. Congrats on them! I love RCS and want to get some again. After losing all mine to tank contamination I've been wanting to get more.

Sark

Brhino
12-02-2010, 05:50 PM
congratulations! If they're anything like mine, you'll have a hundred of them in a few months.

korith
12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I've sent shrimp out in the mail in cold weather w/o heatpacks, they've done fine. I actually find I lose more in the summer due to heat. As long as the box is insulated well it should be good to go.

Try to raise those fish eggs, be interesting to find out what they are. Neon tetra eggs need to be kept in the dark, so its probably not those.

kurly
12-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Glad your Cherry Shrimp are doing okay LadyHobbs.

It wasn't too long after I got my Cherry Shrimp a few weeks ago that I noticed teeny tiny shrimp all over the leaves on my plants. Very unexpected but very happy to see them because that was my purpose of getting the Cherry Shrimp in the first place, for breeding purposes. I see more eggs in several others now so we should be seeing even more babies soon thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
12-03-2010, 01:40 AM
I believe nearly all made it. They're very small and hard to tell but as long as most made it, I'll have that population increased fairly soon. Looks like I have about a dozen fry. Whatever they are.

Brhino
12-03-2010, 01:41 AM
If you've got a decent amount of cover in your tank, you'll probably never see more than half the shrimp at any one time... keep that in mind when you're trying to figure out if you've lost any.

kurly
12-03-2010, 04:19 AM
I was wondering about that because I looked in my tank today and it didn't seem as if I had as many as I did a few days ago. I've got a lot of plants in their tank so I guess that may be why.

Good to know that they are probably just under some plants.

Brhino
12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
yeah, I got an order of 21 RCS from aquabid. I wasn't really sure if my other fish would eat them, so I kept trying to count them to see if they were all there. I usually counted somewhere between 6 and 10 at any one time, until they started breeding.