PDA

View Full Version : need input with a brackish setup

sinister_nation
12-01-2010, 06:01 PM
planning on setting up a brackish tank, I use to own FW and SW tanks but never BW tank.

could a protien skimmer be used in a brackish tank. My sump is set up to use one?

Also was wondering if chaeto can survive in BW, my sump has a refugium. If not then what algae can survive in BW.

How much salt is need per gallon to make a SG level of 1.05 - 1.10

are their any sand sifter for BW? if so what?

Would x2 T5 HE or HO be efficient for lighting this tank.

I know I have more questions, and when they come to me, I'll ask in this thread.

MCHRKiller
12-01-2010, 06:18 PM
A SG of that level will definitely not require a skimmer, actually I doubt you could get any skimmate to produce at that level. Marine algaes also will not survive in that low of salt content. You would be better off sticking with tollerant "freshwater" plants. Java moss, various Crinum species and maybe some Anubias or Fern should survive in those salt levels if slowly acclimated for it.

I would start out with a SG of 1.005 as most brackish fish are kept in freshwater at LFS, for this try adding 1/2 cup of marine salt per 5gallons and adjust as necessary...you will need a hydrometer for this purpose. Your lighting is also fine for sustaining plant growth. What size tank are you setting up?

sinister_nation
12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I'll be setting up my 75 to be a brackish tank, I would need to cycle it, because it's still a new tank that i had ever since April.

Let me ask this, since macro algae won't survive at the low end BW, then what can I use the refugium for. I was hoping to use macro algae in there and when the DT lights are on the fuge lights off, Dt lights off , fuge lights on.

I had read BW fish can handle small swings in water quality, and the reason to cycle the lights to try and keep the water at normal levels instead of having a swing.

Just thought of it the substrate, I prefer to use sand and sand at the lfs is just a bit pricey for me, so I was wonder would play sand work?

I do have some plants. so I'm reading up on plants for BW, and from what I had been reading so far the past week, it look like about 75% of my plants will work after they are acclimated.

MCHRKiller
12-01-2010, 10:42 PM
You could use a refugium on a brackish water tank in much the same way as marine tanks, simply load it down with some lava rock(great biological filtering ability due to its porous nature) and some additional plant life. You can do the reverse light system as well...will work the same way as a marine tank.

Playsand is fine, I would mix in some form of aragonite with it to help keep the pH and hardness where it should be.

sinister_nation
12-02-2010, 09:30 PM
what ratio would be good on play sand / aragonite sand. I'm thinking of about 100LB of play sand. I know my LFS sells aragonite in 30LB and 40LB bags.

Haven't decided yet when i get the 75 going and my 55 be a nursery, to either keep the 100LB play sand in the 55 or transfer to the 75 and have the nursery 55 be bare bottom for easier cleaning. Either way the 75 would need to cycle for BW, for still being a new tank.

what's the best normal way to cycle a new brackish tank and how long can it take for a 75, or a fast way of doing without the fear of new tank syndrome.

MCHRKiller
12-03-2010, 01:03 AM
I doubt your going to need more than 70-80lbs of sand in a 75G tank. I would do a 50/50 mix of aragonite and playsand. The best way to cycle a BW tank is to simply do a normal fishless cycle using ammonia, are you familiar with that?

sinister_nation
12-03-2010, 01:24 AM
I have heard of fishless cycle, but how would it be done for brackish. i know FW use pure ammonia or a fresh water fish form a store or caught from a fishing trip, and SW you can use deli shrimp. My dad do allot of cat fishing so I cut a piece of catfish meat and use to cycle my FW tank.

MCHRKiller
12-03-2010, 01:46 AM
The same applies to brackish water, you can use pure ammonia :11: