PDA

View Full Version : is it okay to move rooted plants?

Aydreean
12-01-2010, 03:32 AM
In my ever-expanding aquarium venture, I have realized that I don't like the way my plants are arranged. I am wondering if my plants will suffer any from a quick and simple re-arrangement?

I have a 96w 50/50 in my 45 gallon and various swords. They are growing alright now and I don't want to stop that by moving them. Is it okay?

DrNic
12-01-2010, 04:04 AM
Yeah it's fine to move your plants around. Just try no to do too much damage to the roots in the process. Many people will just ball up the roots when replanting but if you have the time I've always found it works best to put the roots in a star pattern like they would naturally grow out from the plant. It seems to help the plant take to it's new home a bit better.

Aydreean
12-01-2010, 04:07 AM
thanks a lot. It's funny that I've spent all this time trying to find a setup where my plants will actually grow and now I want to move them around.

rich311k
12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I move mine around all the time. If the root mass is huge then snip some off, it wont hurt the plant. If you stir up a huge cloud of gunk, do a water change an ammonia spike from all that gunk in the water can cause a green water out break.

Sasquatch
12-01-2010, 12:46 PM
For most plants, it should be ok. If you have crypts though, you'll probably loose the leaves. They'll grow back eventually if the roots are in good shape, but crypts really don't like being moved around.

Lady Hobbs
12-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Me too. Move mine around from tank to tank and last night tore a whole tank down, moved it and set it back up this morning with the plants. Like rich, I cut those long roots off which makes them much easier to plant again.

fwazeter
12-02-2010, 04:37 AM
As has been mentioned before, moving plants around by and large is okay. It can just make things a little messy to look at in the aquarium if you use substrates. I'd recommend draining the tank down a bit and rearranging while most of the water is out of the aquarium, but that isn't necessary - just helps reduce getting that disturbed soil / muddy water look, if you already have fish in the setup I wouldn't do it unless you have a bucket or something to put them in temporarily while you do your rearranging.

Aydreean
12-03-2010, 03:50 AM
I moved the tank around last night and was greeted with a mess of substrate mud. After a pretty large water change everything reads normal and my fish are doing good too. Let's hope the new and old plants continue growing.

CrazedMichael
12-03-2010, 04:59 PM
It's fine. It's recommended that you trim the roots down to the last inch. This makes for easier re-planting, but more importantly it encourages the plants to grow its roots out again at a faster rate thus having new healthy roots