PDA

View Full Version : The New Guy

Cyberra
12-01-2010, 01:26 AM
I miss Nova a lot. But I still HAVE to have two fish, so I went to the pet store. Not ready for another red betta, but this fellow caught my eye...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Picture1057.jpg

I named him Minutes to Midnight, or Mid for short. His head is black, shading through dark blue to bright, shining aqua fins. Right now he's still spazzing from going from a grapefruit-sized cup of water to a three-gallon tank. But I would say he likes his new home. As soon as he was into the tank every fin went "poof!" It was funny to watch. An instant of stillness, then fins flying every which way. :fish:

Pleco380
12-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Nova died, sorry to hear that. Mid is beautiful. He has nice colour!

Cyberra
12-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Another betta-loving friend tells me that black bettas are rare, and Mid's black head makes him "valuable". Is it true that black bettas are rare?

And yes, Mid is gorgeous. The tank has LEDs underneath, and when Mid's fins catch the blue lights you'd swear his fins were glowing all on their own

Nova's craziness lives on in video clips and photos. He will be greatly missed; he has a fish-shaped place in my heart

Pleco380
12-01-2010, 01:46 AM
My VT betta his a very dark blue head. But not that black. I've never seen an all black betta before or that turquoise colour either. Either way, that's a nice betta!

Brhino
12-01-2010, 01:48 AM
it's a very pretty betta. Do you have a water testing kit? Since you think an ammonia spike might have done in your last betta, I would suggest monitoring your water parameters closely for a while to make sure the same doesn't happen to the new fish.

Cyberra
12-01-2010, 01:49 AM
The pet store where I bought Mid occasionally has bettas so dark their scales barely shine. The lights in the betta section are too dim to tell for sure, but some of them certainly look black to me

Cyberra
12-01-2010, 01:50 AM
it's a very pretty betta. Do you have a water testing kit? Since you think an ammonia spike might have done in your last betta, I would suggest monitoring your water parameters closely for a while to make sure the same doesn't happen to the new fish.

No, I don't. Can I get one at a pet store?

Brhino
12-01-2010, 02:19 AM
yup! You can either get paper strips which are cheap but not always very accurate, or a liquid test kit which is a bit more expensive but should give you excellent results if you follow the instructions carefully. The one people usually recommend is the API freshwater master test kit. You should be able to find it for 20-25$.

Cyberra
12-01-2010, 02:22 AM
yup! You can either get paper strips which are cheap but not always very accurate, or a liquid test kit which is a bit more expensive but should give you excellent results if you follow the instructions carefully. The one people usually recommend is the API freshwater master test kit. You should be able to find it for 20-25$.

^_^ I'll go in and pick one up tomorrow. Apparently Mid is something of a rare beauty, from what I've been hearing... I don't want to risk Shimmer or Mid

rich311k
12-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Nice looking betta!

Cyberra
12-01-2010, 11:07 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Picture1081.jpg

Another picture of Mid. You can see the dark head and the red in his ventral fins. Look at his scales and fins shine as the camera flash catches them ^_^