PDA

View Full Version : gram negative and gram positive bacteria- the disease difference

cocoa_pleco
06-28-2007, 06:08 AM
another slow night, so i thought i would make another thing like my PH page.

Fish diseases are caused by 1 of 2 bacteria, gram-negative or gram-positive. gram-negative bacteria cause most of the diseases in fish, and gram-positive a few. Gram-negative bacteria show up as rods under a microscope, where gram-positive bacteria have a nucleus and are round or spherical in shape. some medicines are very general, like API's old school capsules that are still sold. some just say "treats gram-negative" or, "treats gram-positive" bacteria. check what kind of bacteria your fish has and the medicine will work for the fish. if youre really serious, get a microscope and gently whisk off a scale sample of the fish. stain the slide with methylene blue or gentian violet so that its easier to see.

on a different note, anyone reading this who has a fish with a bacterial disease should know this- keep the water SPARKLING clear. if its very clean, the bacteria 100% cannot survive because they have no life and food source- dirty water. this significantly increases the fishes chance of survival.

Lady Hobbs
06-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Good post........especially about the need for large and regular water changes. People just don't seem to think water changes are very important once they set the tank up.

People! Fish in dirty water get ill, get parasites, get diseases. Their immune system deteriorates. THEY ARE LIVING IN PEE WATER.