PDA

View Full Version : Torch Coral - need tips from owners

jttt27
11-30-2010, 07:57 PM
I just bought a Torch Coral.

I've got the lighting and flow down, as well as most of the baiscs of it. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help it thrive.

I've only taken care of Polyps, buttons, and mushrooms so far, so any tips would be great.

James
Clearwater, FL

kaybee
12-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Torch corals, like most euphyllia species of coral, are somewhat hardy under proper conditions (that is to say when salinity, pH, alkalinity, calcium levels etc are where they should be), but may be somewhat sensitive if water quality or parameters are less than ideal or widely flucuate.

They sometimes may be sensitive to allelopathy (the 'chemical warfare' that corals, particularly soft corals, sometimes engage in).

They can inflict powerful stings toward other corals so care must be taken with corals within 6" of the colony.

labnjab
12-01-2010, 12:18 PM
They can inflict powerful stings toward other corals so care must be taken with corals within 6" of the colony.

They can sting you too on occasion. I was moving our frogspawn (another euphyllia) the other night, and had a small cut I didn't know I had and it stung me in the cut. It wasn't bad, maybe like a pin prick but it made me jump, lol. A few pieces of tentacle were stuck in the cut too.