PDA

View Full Version : worried about my betta

Cyberra
11-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Normally, Nova is flitting everwhere... He zips around his tank like a finned projectile, into everything, watching me through the tank, darting around insanely.

Yesterday, I changed the water in his tank, and I added a heater with a built-in thermometer/thermostat to keep the water at 78 degrees. But now I think something's wrong. Nova spent most of last night either on the bottom of the tank or floating just under the surface, only moving when startled. He's holding his fins close to his body; won't even flare at his own reflection. After I feed him, I end up picking all of the waterlogged blood worms out of the water not long after. His swimming is more like a shivering of his tail instead of a graceful glide. I'm worried. Is this a sign that something could be seriously wrong with my betta?

mikeDUDS
11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
sorry to hear! imo i think he may just be a bit stressed from the changes you made. also depending on the size heater you used it may have heated the water too fast causing additional stress. im not sure if you need to add anything or if this is a sit and wait it out kind of deal. perhaps someone else can elaborate more. :hmm3grin2orange: hope he gets better soon!

Duds

Cyberra
11-30-2010, 07:46 PM
The shivering of his tail has turned into something close to a spasm, he's barely swimming at all, and he's floating almost on his side...

Never mind. He just stopped moving entirely, and he's not breathing. The scales around his gills have turned a brownish-orange. He's gone

I don't know what's gone wrong. He was fine the other day!

Brhino
11-30-2010, 07:52 PM
did you remember to use dechlorinator when you did the water change?

Cyberra
11-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I have betta water conditioner, and I used it.

Cyberra
12-01-2010, 12:22 AM
According to the person at the pet store, it might have been ammonia buildup that killed Nova. Nova was a very picky eater... I only actually saw him eat once or twice. While I did my best to get uneaten worms out of the tank, I inevitably missed some, and they decayed in the tank.

I miss Nova already ;_;