PDA

View Full Version : Confused... Legal or not?

EmmanuelJB
11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
In Maine it is illegal to sell shrimps, clams, snails, and other inverts at petstores. It is NOT illegal to keep them. Does this mean I can have them shipped from another state? The reason I am asking is because no where on liveaquaria's site, on the inverts page does it says they cannot ship to Maine, and on their site does specify which states they cannot ship to. For example, http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=1075+1642&pcatid=1642 towards the bottom of that page it says they cannot ship that item to Wisconsin, but even though it is illegal for pet stores in Maine sell clams, it does not say they can't ship the item to Maine.... What do you think?? I really want to buy some shrimp!!!

teddscau
11-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Illegal? In Canada you can buy any animal imaginable! I'd advise using common sense though. Are you looking for freshwater shrimp? You could drive out of state and smuggle them across the boarder:hmm3grin2orange:
I feel bad that you can't get inverts. I love them! I can't resist shrimp! I need every species I can find! The fish get along great with them. Good luck! If you aren't sure about the legality, just ask the town hall or whatever.

EmmanuelJB
11-30-2010, 02:12 AM
Well liveaquaria should know right? I mean they have plants labeled that cant ship to Maine.... I would think the shrimp and other inverts would also be labeled if they couldnt...

lol I go to Canada once in a while and look at the fish there (Only abour an hour drive)... I would never dare bring illegal inverts from there though... You could get in some serious trouble for that...

Flakes4Bait
11-30-2010, 02:34 AM
I wouldn't worry about buying them. If it only says it's illegal to sell them, there should be no problem with buying them. If Liveaquaria will ship them too you, go for it.

HomaridNoob6
11-30-2010, 02:53 AM
Sometimes there are things that a company will ship to your state even when they aren't supposed to. Technically there are ways you can get in some major trouble with that kind of stuff but it's not common. Most states aren't that crazy about busting people possesing stuff for personal use as they are about sales or any type of distribution. Also, if they have some items that are marked as not being shippable to maine, yet the ones you want aren't marked or don't say that you are probably fine. Just because it's illegal to sell something at a retail store in a state doesn't always mean that item is illegal to posess. Doesn't always mean it's even illegal to import. I've done more looking at this type of stuff legality wise in areas other than wildlife. If the company will ship it to you you should be fine, just don't sell any of them yourself. If a friend or something wanted some you might not actually legally be able to even gift them, there's some weird laws in some places. Typically though if they will ship it to you it's fine. Liveaquaria isn't really a small fly by night operation or anything, they know what they're doing, you're most likely fine.

Lab_Rat
11-30-2010, 02:59 AM
Check if it's illegal to cross state lines with the invert. If it is, and you do try to smuggle one and get caught you can get nailed with hefty fines.

HeatherB
11-30-2010, 03:18 AM
I MEAN REALLY? Did they find a cure for cancer yet? Bin Laden is still at large right? Unless your like, clogging up the local waterways with shrimp/plants I don't see why they would care...

I would try to drive out of state for them, pay cash so you don't leave a paper trail. And buy lots!

EmmanuelJB
11-30-2010, 03:23 AM
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/species/unrestricted_species.htm

Im going to contact liveaquaria and find out.

Where it says turtles are restricted it says, "can be possessed, but may not be sold, transferred, traded, or released." I wonder if this applies to shrimp??

EmmanuelJB
11-30-2010, 03:42 AM
I would try to drive out of state for them, pay cash so you don't leave a paper trail. And buy lots!
Great Suggestion! I will be sure to send you the bill when I get fined for the shrimp. JK :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

HomaridNoob6
11-30-2010, 03:57 AM
That's the other thing I was going to say, contact their customer service and see what they say, the only reason I was hesitant to say that is you might tip them off and stop them from doing something they might otherwise be ignorant of, and in the process lose out on being able to get shrimp that won't actually be illegal for you to posess.

Lab_Rat
11-30-2010, 04:20 AM
There are reasons for laws banning certain animals and plants. There are real problems with invasive plants. The government IS going after hobbyists. This is thanks to the ignorant people who release captive plants and animals into the wild.

Rollins4Miles
11-30-2010, 05:01 AM
In Maine it is illegal to sell shrimps, clams, snails, and other inverts at petstores. It is NOT illegal to keep them. Does this mean I can have them shipped from another state? The reason I am asking is because no where on liveaquaria's site, on the inverts page does it says they cannot ship to Maine, and on their site does specify which states they cannot ship to.

If you are certain that the laws of Maine prohibit the sale of these specimens but have not outlawed the possession, then I see no problem why you couldn't buy it out of state and have it shipped to you. I would however double check the possession laws just to make certain.

As for LiveAquaria, I did notice on the link you posted that they would not ship the item to Wisconsin, but I wouldn't take their word for it. I checked around on the site and found a Jardini. The site did not mention that they would not ship this item to Florida, however I'm certain that these fish cannot be owned in Florida without a permit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only legal arowana in Florida is the silver arowana. But I digress, and the point of my story was when it comes to something's legality, it's always best to triple check any statutes or regulations with a rational interpretation. If an animal is illegal to own, and someone sells it to you anyways, the fault lies 100% with you. Caveat Emptor...buyer beware...

EmmanuelJB
11-30-2010, 09:09 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=1075+1642&pcatid=1642 I never received a response but obviously they got my email....

Strange though, some items still dont say they cant be shipped to Maine.