PDA

View Full Version : plant questions ...

Elliriyanna
11-29-2010, 01:21 AM
I was told Java moss would be great for Spots to graze on so I ordered some ... How do I attach it? And what can I attach it to? I have rocks and tera cotta pots and was planning on making driftwood ( from what I can tell you just boil it right?)

Also Spots tank won't have a lit hood for a while but I want him to have a planted tank ... What plants can do well in low light? Like almost none other than the main light for the room.

And what plants are good for neons? I was thinking Myrio but what do you think? That tank has a hood and light but nothing special.

Sasquatch
11-29-2010, 03:09 AM
Use cotton thread or fishing line and attach it to a piece of decor, it'll be fine.

Until you get better lighting, I'd stick with java moss. Java fern and anubias species will do well in low light, but your tank doesn't even really have that much.

As for neons, just about anything that grows tall. Swords, cabomba, valisneria, hygrophila are all good options.

MCHRKiller
11-29-2010, 04:51 AM
Without a fixture of some sort and only room lighting all plants will brown and die in time. If you have a standard hood you can support some plants. What type do you currently have?

Elliriyanna
11-29-2010, 05:35 AM
I found a hood for the tank ... ish ... only half works and its fluorescent. the neons also have a fluorescent hood.

MCHRKiller
11-29-2010, 06:03 AM
I would find a proper working fixture as soon as you can. For that tank I would only do java moss until you get a better working light. For the other tank with a standard fluorescent hood you can keep Java moss, Anubias, Java Fern and maybe some Crypts. I would probably replace the bulb to one that is between 6000-8000K spectrum for proper plant growth.

Elliriyanna
11-29-2010, 06:43 AM
we only have two lfs ... jacks aquarium and petsmart... they dont really have many options for bulbs for a fluorescent replacement ... the other tank will have standard fluorescent lighting just only on one side lol ... could I grow plants on that side for now ... I could also get some plant food if that would help ... with Spots being an omnivore I think plants would be best if I could have anything else ... or should i stick to nice quality plastic plants?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752303

I have a couple of these already and they are super realistic and a very nice plastic that doesnt hurt the fish at all ... the baby tried to eat it though lol

MCHRKiller
11-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Depending on the length of the bulb you need walmart, lowes, homedepot are also options for replacement bulbs. Just make sure the K rating is between 6000-8000K.

Elliriyanna
11-29-2010, 09:05 AM
whats a k? I only see things in watts ... That may sound stupid but I just dont understand

Should I try getting a new fluorescent starter for the non working hood?

Ok found a light with a 10,000 k rating but thats super expensive will normal fluorescent hoods not work for a lightly planted tank?

MCHRKiller
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
K is kelvin it is essentially the spectrum the bulb emits. Different kelvin ratings are good for plant growth than say coral propigation.

You could try a new starter, theyre only a couple of bucks and worth a shot.

What size tank is it you need to buy a new fixture for? Often times you are better off getting one online.

Normal fluorescent hoods dont provide enough wattage for anything but the lowest of light plants, and even then these plants would do much better under more lighting.

Elliriyanna
11-30-2010, 01:59 AM
for the kg tank the live plants are meant to be food so I'm fine with them not being brilliant looking.

I need a 24 inch hood ... Its 35 bucks if you're lucky ... I just cant afford that right now. the tank itself is a 40 long.

the stores around here have SO few options .. as soon as I get the money I'll start looking around at things to order ...

If I get driftwood from the local river and boil the heck out of it will it be safe for my tank? I dont wanna risk anything with my fish.

MCHRKiller
11-30-2010, 02:32 AM
The local driftwood should be fine boiled and cleaned up. If you really want to grow some nice plants a 130watt PC is an excellent option as you wont have to use CO2 while getting some nice plant growth. Odyssea fixtures arnt the best out there but they are very decent for the price now that they have redesigned them:
http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-48in-2x65W-Power-Compact-Light-Fixture-p/51110.htm

Elliriyanna
11-30-2010, 03:45 AM
I unfortunately cant order it yet :( I guess I'll stick to anacharis for now. I just dont have the money right now.

How long should I boil my driftwood?