PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to put too many root tabs?

EmmanuelJB
11-28-2010, 11:41 PM
I sorta got carried away with the root tabs and now I am a little worried my plants are going to die.... I put 5 in my 10 gallon and 12 or more in my 60 gallon. That its like 3 times the package recommendation ( I put About 1 next to each plant).... So are my plants going to be ok?

Also how often do I dose with flourish? The package says 1-2 times a week... How often should I?

Thanks!!

dbosman
11-29-2010, 02:42 AM
I sorta got carried away with the root tabs and now I am a little worried my plants are going to die.... I put 5 in my 10 gallon and 12 or more in my 60 gallon. That its like 3 times the package recommendation ( I put About 1 next to each plant).... So are my plants going to be ok?

Also how often do I dose with flourish? The package says 1-2 times a week... How often should I?
Thanks!!

It would be difficult to over dose using root tabs. They don't dissolve all that fast. Five in your ten gallon and 12 in your 60 gallon is no where near an overdose of any packaged root tabs.
The guy who sells RootMedic brand puts a capsule every three inches in one of his tanks to prove it. http://rootmedic.net/

Seachem Flourish is a family of fertilizers, not a single item.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourish.html

If you're referring to the Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, just follow the directions on the bottle. You won't make mistakes that way.

Before dwelling too deeply, though, how is your lighting? Are you using a carbon such as Seachem Flourish Excel (or one of the generics) or Pressurized CO2?

EmmanuelJB
11-29-2010, 02:55 AM
Yes I meant Seachem Flourish Comprehensive.It says 1-2 times a week. So do I dose once or twice a week?

The lighting is pretty high in the 10 gallon, and in the 60 gallon the lighting is low. I am adding flourish excel in both tanks.

Lady Hobbs
11-29-2010, 03:01 AM
I'd find some root tabs that doesn't require so many doses. The stuffs expensive. API root tabs is only once a month and Flourish Tabs I believe are every 3 months. I would not overdose with them, either. Too much could burn the root system.

EmmanuelJB
11-29-2010, 03:14 AM
I used a mixture of flourish and jungle root tabs.

dbosman
11-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Root fertilizers don't have to be expensive.
Go to a good gardening center or a good hardware store. Jobe's Plant Food Spikes for Lush Ferns and Palms are great. The analysis is 16-2-6. More Pphosphate will help the algae more than your plants. My package was 30 spikes for $2.29. That's 90 "tabs".

Break the Jobe's spikes into 1/3s. For a newish sword, push three pieces in to the substrate around the plant, about two inches from the center of the plant. As the roots grow, and about once a month (check to see if the first spikes have dissolved) put three more in, further out, to encourage root growth. Use one or two of these per clump of stem plants.

Another cheap really effective option is Osmokote or Osmokote Plus slow release fertilizer. Either fill gelatin capsules and push those into the substrate, or make fert-cicles. In an ice cube tray, put six or eight of the Osmokote balls into each well. Add enough water to cover and a bit more. Freeze. A few hours later when you're ready to fertilize your substrate work quickly. The small fert-cicles will thaw quickly as you are working in your much warmer tank.

Lady Hobbs
11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I looked all over my town for the Lush Ferns and Palms a couple of years ago and no one carried them. I was ready to give it a go myself. But with high phosphates right from my tap, best in my case not to add any phosphates.

Heard good things about these ferts too.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquariumPlants_com_s_own_SUBSTRATE_VITALIZATION_p/fert.htm

dragoonwoman
11-30-2010, 06:18 PM
The tabs from aquariumplants.com are GREAT, and not too expensive. There are about 100 in a bottle, and you use them once a month. I always notice a big growth spurt a couple days after putting them in, especially in my swords.

Lady Hobbs has recommended their substrate, and I think I'll switch to that the next tank I set up. Eco-Complete and Flourite are just too expensive. In the stores it's the price (when I can find the stuff), online it's the shipping, that drives the cost very high. Plus you need several bags of the stuff for even a modest-sized tank like my 46. It adds up FAST.

I just started using Flourish Complete, Trace and Excel on a regular basis, and now I've got brown algae covering all the plants. NOT what I was looking for AT ALL. I think I'll check out the Total Substrate System instead. Lady Hobbs - have you used that?

Lady Hobbs
11-30-2010, 06:47 PM
No, I have not and haven't yet order the tabs altho I think I will each month. According to what they say on the site, using the tabs and keeping the ferts out of the water column means no algae. If you are using the tabs, then I'd cut down on the liquid ferts, I think.

I started getting a bit of hair algae after dosing with Flourish for a couple weeks so now I just give it about half doses after a water change. No more algae problems, for now anyway. I haven't used any Excel now for perhaps 3 months.