PDA

View Full Version : Help: Hornwort

vgalvanrico
11-28-2010, 08:26 PM
ok I have a 20 gal tank (no hood and lighting yet not for another week or so but i havent had a hood in month or so...upgrade)with 5 kuhli loaches, 2 otocinclus, 1 ghost shrimp, 1 african dwarf frog, and i betta. My hornwort doesnt seem to be growing. It all looks kinda decayed, i try to keep them rooted and have them stems separately rooted. the only light they pretty much get is around 9-10 am i leave the window wide open to get some light in there, the temp doesnt raise much. and so i guess im asking how do i keep my hornwort alive? i plan on getting 20 grade filter sand in a couple weeks and adding more plants once i get the hood and lights.
thanks for the advice guys

smaug
11-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Hornworts natural tendency in the wild is to be free floating and it will do best in the tank this way too.It needs fairly decent light and since you have no light atm it will die back.How much light will be on your tank when you get it?

mermaidwannabe
11-28-2010, 08:39 PM
My understanding is that hornwort is a floating plant, and it may be that it can't be rooted because maybe it doesn't grow roots. I could be mistaken, but that's what I know about it.

Also, if you're going to have living plants, you must have a tank light. Ambient room light won't work.

I'm getting some hornwort for my tank tomorrow. I have a tight fitting lid and hood with a very bright light in it that rests right on the lid, itself, so all the light goes into the tank. The light is enclosed within a clear glass shield to protect it, but shines straight down into the aquarium.

If you get a good light and let your hornwort float, you might have better luck.

-- mermaidwannabe
:ariel:

smaug
11-28-2010, 08:44 PM
It does have root like structure,but it is meant simply to hold onto surfaces and doesnt root into the bottom on its own.

vgalvanrico
11-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure what light im getting but something bright. thanks for the advice you guys. I'll let them float from now on and wait to see if they get better once i get a hood and lights :)