PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Hair Grass Questions

EmmanuelJB
11-27-2010, 09:13 PM
I added some dwarf hair grass to my 60 gallon aquarium, and want it to completely cover the bottom. Will the small amount of grass I put in there eventually cover the bottom? How long will it tank?

Thanks!!

korith
11-27-2010, 09:57 PM
For my tank it took a very long time. Still have many patchy areas. Co2 and high light would help the process along.

rich311k
11-28-2010, 01:14 AM
It will take some time. Spread out the plantlets as much as possible and snip the runners as they produce new plants, this will encourage faster growth.

Australian natives
11-28-2010, 04:06 AM
i planted mine a long time ago and it has been spreading reasonably fast, although i have a feeling i will be waiting a long time before it forms a nice dense carpet =P. at the moment it is spreading but the runners are popping up quite a distance from one another. but i have it growing in inert sand, with no CO2, just a fair bit of light, so it is pretty easy to keep alive =P.
good luck

VCP
11-28-2010, 05:55 PM
How do you guys do WC's after you have covered all the gravel at the bottom? Do you not vacuum the gravel? How does that work?

EmmanuelJB
11-28-2010, 06:01 PM
How do you guys do WC's after you have covered all the gravel at the bottom? Do you not vacuum the gravel? How does that work?
I am curious about this too... Also should I be siphoning the gravel right now? Wont it suck up the new plants that are forming?

EmmanuelJB
11-29-2010, 12:03 AM
It will take some time. Spread out the plantlets as much as possible and snip the runners as they produce new plants, this will encourage faster growth.
When I cut the runners they all just floated to the top.... Was that suppose to happen? They wont reproduce if they are at the top right?

Braccus
11-29-2010, 12:37 AM
I have no idea about your setup but when I had it in my 55 gallon (108W T5HO lighting) I just never had success with it.

Lady Hobbs
11-29-2010, 03:09 AM
Planted substrate needs no vac. The waste is plant nutrients. I wouldn't plant in gravel.

Sasquatch
11-29-2010, 03:11 AM
I avoid siphoning near the bases of the plants to encourage organic matter to settle in the substrate. The only thing I'd be wary about is an accumulation on the plants. Make sure your have something that will stir the leaves of your plants. Shrimp, cories and other bottom dwellers usually do a good job.

VCP
11-30-2010, 04:03 AM
Planted substrate needs no vac. The waste is plant nutrients. I wouldn't plant in gravel.

I didn't know that... Thanks for the info. Will the substrate at one point just become super filthy that you have no choice but to remove the carpet and clean or do the plants do a good job in the long run?

Sasquatch
11-30-2010, 01:18 PM
If your plants are healthy and have good roots, you shouldn't have to. The problem with the buildup of organic matter in the substrate it that once it goes anoxic (consumes all the oxygen) it can produce chemicals that are toxic to the fish.

If the aquarium is well planted, the roots continually pump oxygen into the substrate. This keeps the roots and associated bacteria alive and helps the plants have access to the nutrients stored in the sediments.