PDA

View Full Version : Java Fern Die Off?

BiGBlak
11-26-2010, 12:46 AM
I just bought two java fern mats and the tip of the leaves seem to be getting brown . how do i stop this ? i thought java fern was a hardy plant ? and how can i prevent this from keep happening ? 20 buks each !

EmmanuelJB
11-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Java fern or java moss? (Just asking because I thought java moss was what came on the mats).

EmmanuelJB
11-26-2010, 12:55 AM
If it is java ferns you are talking about here is a post I wrote up about them a while back.

The reason Java ferns are a "fern" is because they die off and reproduce by spores on the plant. It is normal for java ferns to die of, forming holes, and turning black, especially newly introduced into aquariums. Eventually on top of the dieing plant you will notice new plants growing.

As soon as put my java ferns in my tank I noticed them starting to die, and I did not begin to notice the new plants regrowing on top of the dead leaves, until over 1-2 months later, so dont remove the java ferns right now, wait and see what happens.

Here are some pictures of my java ferns "reproducing" several months after the plant started to die:

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/EmmanuelJB/IMG_1923-1.jpg

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/EmmanuelJB/IMG_1922.jpg

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/EmmanuelJB/IMG_1921.jpg

lobsternoob
11-26-2010, 01:18 AM
What EmmanuelJB is describing here is likely what is happening. My big mother fern is constantly having leaves turn brown and sprout plantlets. I remember the first time i saw a java fern root sprouting from a leaf a few years back I panicked because I had never had a planted tank and had no clue what this plant was doing LOL! Thanks for bringing back that memory, gave me a good laugh:hmm3grin2orange: . It's pretty normal, especially for a new fern to lose some leaves and sprout plantlets. I'm no botanist,in fact I'm about as FAR from it as is possible, but I imagine it happens more often when the plant is moved from tank to tank because it's trying to keep itself alive by splitting into other plants, basically it freaks out from a sudden change in conditions and figures it needs to split off some babies to survive. It is normal for java ferns to do this even when established, but much more common and noticeable when large ones are put in a new tank, also, when they are moved leaves seem to die like that more, rather than just growing new plantlets from the tips, or whatever random spot they sometimes seem to choose. unless you see the whole plant turning brown all at once I wouldn't worry much. You might actually be pleasantly surprised by all the new baby ferns you are going to have.

BiGBlak
11-26-2010, 04:43 AM
so what should i do ? should i take the browning leaves off while this is happening ? or do i just leave it as ?

EmmanuelJB
11-26-2010, 04:51 AM
so what should i do ? should i take the browning leaves off while this is happening ? or do i just leave it as ?
Do not take the browning leaves off. The leaves are what the new plants grow on.

BiGBlak
11-29-2010, 08:54 PM
They are even worse looking. I will post a pic later on today. Its just seems the whole plant is going all at once instead of one leave after another .

Lady Hobbs
11-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Mine were just black two weeks ago and I was ready to toss them. Today I must have 30 new plantlets on them.

MCHRKiller
11-29-2010, 10:40 PM
What ferts are you using? It could also be a nutrient deficiency...even ferns kept in decent light can suffer from lack of nutrients.

BiGBlak
11-30-2010, 03:55 AM
What ferts are you using? It could also be a nutrient deficiency...even ferns kept in decent light can suffer from lack of nutrients.
I dosed the tank with excel once since they been introduced onthe tank last week .

lobsternoob
12-03-2010, 01:12 AM
I know for a fact I've heard of excel seeming to melt some plants. I just can't remember which ones, and I've never experienced it. Possibly this is what's happening? As far as ferts I have had pretty terrible dosing regiments since starting with plants because of being ill so often, I always get my WC's done, but sometimes anything more than that has to wait, if it isn't vital to the survival of my fish, sometimes I'm just not up to it. It's a good thing I'm fairly patient when I have to be or I would have given up planted tanks. I've had my share of problems from underfertilizing and overfertilizing. I get my fert mixes from a guy I know that makes his own in pretty massive quantities. He also has planted tanks, he modifies his mix a bit for tanks, and knows enough to mix ferts for many plants just by looking at them. He's a pretty dang smart botanist... so I trust my fert mixes to him, and try to dose as he says unless I see any neg effects, then I ask him what i'm doing wrong... Buying from him is probably about 1/50th of the price of mass marketed ferts, but when I use it in the right doses and with consistancy I've seen amazing results. Especially lately, since I've actually been doing what I should be. Anyway, I guess that's a really bad way of saying I'm not sure how to help you exactly and that I have my name for a reason, I am a persistant noob hehe. Basically, are your fern(s) still deteriorating rapidly or what? Figured I'd bump the thread too in case you're still having probs. Other people won't be able to help you if they don't see the thread, hopefully though you aren't having probs now and things are growing back...

MCHRKiller
12-03-2010, 01:15 AM
I dosed the tank with excel once since they been introduced onthe tank last week .

Excel is only a liquid CO2 replacement, it provides no other nutrients to the water column. Excel IME does not cause ferns to melt. Pick up some Flourish Comprehensive and dose that 1-2X per week and see if they perk up any for you.

kurly
12-03-2010, 05:22 AM
I use both Flourish Excel and Flourish Comprehensive in my planted tank. My Java ferns did seem to do do better once I started added the Flourish Comprehensive to my tank. Now they are thriving.

Java Ferns are a pretty tough plant. Sometimes you just have to be more patient for them to rebound from whatever caused some kind of stress to them.

Wild Turkey
12-03-2010, 05:39 AM
+1 Leave them and they will grow new sprouts. Pretty normal for ferns as long as its not happening at a very quick rate.

Ive never had excel hurt java ferns but Im sure enough of it could.

lobsternoob
12-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Like I said, I don't know, but I thought a bump might help get some more info. Didn't realize excel was basically a substitute for c02 tho. I haven't looked at packaged ferts and supplements too much tho, so it's all new to me.