PDA

View Full Version : Severely Bloated Betta

teddscau
11-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Okay, so I got a betta about a week ago. A couple of days ago he started to get bloated. I've been feeding him peas the last few days. His stomach is three times larger than it's suppose to be. He's swimming fine. The temperature is at 72 because he's sharing the tank with my white cloud. I've never had problems with the ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. I do a 50% water change each week on the tank. Before he got bloated I'd been feeding frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, blood worms, and veggie rounds. Anyone know what's wrong? What can I do? My camera sucks at taking pictures so I found one on Google.
Here:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VkRP-IvOkes/Rd5AA_jYVSI/AAAAAAAAAEA/8bMq9qcXD0Y/s400/swollen4.jpg

He's not as bloated as the one in the picture, but he's close to it.

Little Embers
11-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Gee! He is very bloated! I would start by turning up the temp. to at least 76*f, they do require warmth/humidity. The white clouds will cope fine in warm temps., they just may not show their full colouring as much.

How ofter do you feed him/them and how much? I would also include flakes/pellets into the mix. At this point, I would stop feeding them completely for a couple/few days. Is he pooping at all?

It may not be constipation, but Daphnia can have a good laxative effect, adding epsom salts (or an epsom salt bath) can also help in some situations. Just hope it isn't turning into Dropsy!

teddscau
11-28-2010, 05:19 PM
I quit feeding him for a couple of days now he's looking much better. I think he was eating too much.