PDA

View Full Version : pictus catfish

kittiecat
11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
I was thinking of getting some more pictus. I have one now the guy at the fish store told me I shouldn't have more than 1 whisker type catfish. What does eveyone think?:goldfish: :fish:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-23-2010, 09:38 PM
How big is your tank?

smaug
11-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Not until you get that rts issue panned out.

kittiecat
11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
i think I'm def getting rid of the shark. He's too mean. My tank is 37 gal.

smaug
11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Have you found someone who wants the rts?

kittiecat
11-23-2010, 09:44 PM
no I was hoping the pet store would take him. He really is beautiful he's almost 2.5 inches

smaug
11-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Maybe they will. Please list all the fish you have so we can help you with what more fish you may have.

kittiecat
11-23-2010, 09:50 PM
I have 1 tiger barb. The other 2 were killed. I have a yellow pleco. An upside down catfish, the shark and 2 smaller fish that I can't remember the name of. They're small, gold and have black dots. I thought they were called gold discus but I can't find them when I look it up. Oh yeah the pictus. There's plenty of room. They're is also a ton of snails.

smaug
11-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Well,the tiger barbs need some company.5-6 more of them would do.Can you post some pics of these unknown 2 fish you have?

kittiecat
11-25-2010, 04:34 PM
I'll try to get a good pic of them. They like to hang out in the back. I do plan on getting more tiger barbs.

Pleco380
11-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Once you figure out what to do about the CAE and RTS I think you might be able to get away with another pictus cat. But first you should get more tiger barbs.

HomaridNoob6
11-26-2010, 01:07 AM
I honestly probably wouldn't keep pictus in a 37g after my experience having a couple in a 40g for a while. They don't get huge or anything, but they are decent sized and active little cats, and from everything I've heard they prefer a bit of their own company. Although, I have heard people say that just 2 or 3 will fight. I can't imagine them doing too much damage to eachother, but if it's serious fighting/bullying it's never really desirable. From what I'm hearing you seem to have a taste for cool catfish. I know they can be kind of boring since they are such hiders, but striped raphael cats are cool, they've gotta be my second favorite small/mid sized cat behind cories, and they would probably be happier in a tank your size than pictus would, they can be near the same size when fully grown, but raphaels are much less active than pictus. As people have said though, you may want to figure out your other stocking issues before adding more stuff.

As far as your small gold and black fish, I'm drawing a blank, although there are potentially quite a few fish that could loosely match that. I'ts somewhat unlikely that you have discus and aren't 100% sure of it. Usually in most LFS the price tag that comes along with discus is gonna keep reminding you that you have them:hmm3grin2orange: . Around here, it's pretty uncommon to even see lower quality juvy discus in a LFS for under 40$, and 40$ is really on the cheap side for a discus. Pics really would help everyone ID them for you. Failing that a bit more description of body shape, size, etc might help.

kittiecat
11-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Thanks everybody for all the input. The gold ones are an inch or inch and 1/2. It's gold like real gold not goldfish. they're slender not fat like the tb. they seem to be nocturnal, hence no pic...They're skittish but my shark is a menace. I really love my pictus and don't want to part, he was good until the shark started bullying him=(

Pleco380
11-26-2010, 02:35 AM
Now that I keep thinking about it you COULD get more pictus catfish but personally I wouldn't. I was thinking it would be alright but when I think about the ones I had I'm starting to think otherwise. They are very active fish and need lots of swimming space. In my 80g they swam quickly and around the tank over and over again in circles. They were sub-adults so they were almost full grown and they never bothered each other. They'd play but never got got territorial. I only sold them because I thought they were killing fish. It was the CAE's fault and now I regret selling them. Discus here are at least $100. I have no idea what the 2 catfish are. I'd only be able to tell with a pic.

Edit: Maybe they are some kind of plecos?

JuliaC
11-26-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm with Pleco380. You can get another pictus in a 37g, but I wouldn't do that. I have 4 of them in a 55g, and I'm starting to think I should have just kept one.
They get along fine with each other, more or less. They don't really fight much, only piss each other slightly from time to time and have a brief scuffle or a chase, but never do any physical damage to each other.
But, as people said above, they are very active, love a lot of space to swim. My older pictus is more than 6" long, ans when he swims as fast as he likes, my 55g is barely enough for him. Two of them in a 37g would most likely feel cramped. Especially if there's any other bottom dwellers present.

Pleco380
11-26-2010, 03:35 AM
They might occasionally tick off other species of catfish. I have 2 raphael cats (The spotted I got after I sold the pictus). A pictus swam into the striped raphael's stump decoration so the raphael hissed a few times. Raphael cats are slow, mellow but will eat small fish. Pictus cats are quick and active. The raphaels only share the stump with the plecos. So if those unknown catfish you have are slow, the more pictus cats might upset them.

HomaridNoob6
11-26-2010, 04:50 AM
oh, hehe I didn't realize the un id'ed fish were catfish also, honestly I'm still not sure, but it seems to be the impression we've gotten. Like Pleco380 mentioned gold and spotted really makes me think of some sort of pleco if they are catfish. I'm still stumped as to what they might be, hopefully someone else can help you out with that.

And yeah Pleco380, those raphaels can get a bit grumpy when something comes into their hiding spots. I've seen one of mine get real aggressive towards a cory that wandered into it's spot, but it really didn't seem to do much damage at all. One of my raphaels actually hangs out with a geophagus surinamensis often, I know its weird, but I see them swimming together often after lights out, and it's only one particular geo that swims with the cat. Funny you mention it, you know a raphael is pissed off when you can hear those weird grunts and squeaks and other noises from outside of the tank!

Pleco380
11-26-2010, 04:59 AM
oh, hehe I didn't realize the un id'ed fish were catfish also, honestly I'm still not sure, but it seems to be the impression we've gotten. Like Pleco380 mentioned gold and spotted really makes me think of some sort of pleco if they are catfish. I'm still stumped as to what they might be, hopefully someone else can help you out with that.

And yeah Pleco380, those raphaels can get a bit grumpy when something comes into their hiding spots. I've seen one of mine get real aggressive towards a cory that wandered into it's spot, but it really didn't seem to do much damage at all. One of my raphaels actually hangs out with a geophagus surinamensis often, I know its weird, but I see them swimming together often after lights out, and it's only one particular geo that swims with the cat. Funny you mention it, you know a raphael is pissed off when you can hear those weird grunts and squeaks and other noises from outside of the tank!

Yeah, all the fish move when the raphaels come out. The striped is the king of the tank though. The spotted is his sidekick. Even that grumpy loach moves for the raphaels.

Back to the topic, you talk about the RTS being aggressive. I've had an RTS, CAE and pictus cats in the same tank. The CAE was the killer. I thought it was you who also had a CAE but maybe I'm getting mixed up.

kittiecat
11-26-2010, 04:57 PM
the smaller gold colored fish ARE NOT catfish I only have the pictus catfish and the upsidedown swimming catfish(who keeps to himself). Those gold colored ones are a regular fish I just can't remember the name.

Pleco380
11-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Oh I thought you said they were catfish. Can you post a pic? Then you'll get a definite ID from someone instead of guesses.

kittiecat
11-26-2010, 07:34 PM
i would post a pic if i knew how to do it. LOL!

Pleco380
11-26-2010, 07:37 PM
This tells you how to post a pic.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5

kittiecat
11-26-2010, 08:41 PM
it says my image is to big=(

Pleco380
11-26-2010, 08:48 PM
If you have Windows (not sure about mac) then this is how I resize pics:

1. Go to "my pictures"
2. Right click the picture you want and click "edit"
3. Then, on the right hand side there are options for editing the pic.
4. Click "resize" and resize the pic to 100 by 100 so it will be the right size to post
5. Save changes.
6. Upload to the post.

kittiecat
11-26-2010, 09:08 PM
ok i think i got it

kittiecat
11-26-2010, 09:09 PM
that was a huge pain I hope everyone can see them ok

lg0815
11-26-2010, 09:17 PM
those are danios of some sort look like giant maybe i dont know my danios real well

smaug
11-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Leopard danio I do believe.

Pleco380
11-26-2010, 10:37 PM
I agree with smaug. They look like leopard danios. How big are they?

kittiecat
11-27-2010, 01:14 AM
They're small. 1/2 in to an inch, maybe an 1 1/2. One is smaller than the other. Thanks i'll check it out.

HomaridNoob6
11-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Yep, definitely danios, like Smaug said they look like leopard danios. They're another fish that like the barbs would be happier in a school of around 4-6 or more. That probably explains their shyness because I wouldn't consider danios to be nocturnal fish, but they will hide a lot if they're uncomfortable.

To possibly make things even easier for you to post pics in the future, what I do is use photobucket. It's free, and then the image size won't matter, once you've uploaded it just copy and paste the tag that says IMG or image link into your post. It's kind of a pain I guess because you're using multiple webpages to do one thing, but I prefer doing it that way rather than resizing every single pic I want to show people. I find its much easier when I want to post multiple pics too.

kittiecat
11-27-2010, 02:42 AM
Thanks everyone. They are leopard danios. The shark is going tomorrow fish store will take him back. I plan on getting some more of them. I thought they would be happier with more of them. Hopefully with the shark gone calm will be restored.

Pleco380
11-27-2010, 05:32 AM
If I were you I'd sell the CAE too. He could also be killing fish. And if he isn't he most likely will soon. But who knows, maybe he's unique.

KingKuba
02-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Once you get one, you'll wish you never got one to begin with unless you want to keep it forever and ever.