PDA

View Full Version : keeping hornwort alive ...

mermaidwannabe
11-23-2010, 06:44 AM
I plan to get some live hornwort to float at the top of my tank. What do I need to do to keep it alive and flourishing? Would adding ferts harm my fish in any way?

-- mermaidwannabe

:fish: :goldfish: :fish2:

Taurus
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
If you're talking about your 20 gallon tank with the slightly high nitrate problem, I would not add ferts. as there are plenty of nutrients being generated for Hornwart. Hornwort is kind of a nitrate sponge. It will use up a lot of the excess nitrates.

mermaidwannabe
11-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Good to know! I've no experience with living aquarium plants, so it's good to know that hornwort will pretty much thrive on its own in my tank.

When I pick up my AC50 from the LFS next week, I'll get some of that, too.

Meanwhile, it's daily water changes ....

Thanks, Taurus. That's no bull! LOL!

-- mermaidwannabe

Lady Hobbs
11-23-2010, 03:43 PM
I got two bunches of hornwort two months ago and altho it looks pretty good and I've trimmed it way back, I'm beginning to see a bunch of it starting to brown. It was very green up until two weeks ago but I also have high nitrates in this one tank so that may also be my problem, too.

mermaidwannabe
11-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Wouldn't it receive its nutrition by feeding on the nitrates, or absorbing them?

-- mermaid

Taurus
11-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes it does. It also feeds on ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates. Usually it sucks up so many excess nutrients that the water may become depleted of the required nutrients it needs to grow. But that can take a couple of months. You may need to add ferts. at that point, but simple water tests can help you determine whether you need to or not. It grows under almost any light, but the more light it has the faster it will grow.

mermaidwannabe
11-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Great! I have a nice bright light that sits right on my lid, on a clear glass strip. The floating plants will be directly beneath it, almost touching the lid from the inside. The hornwort should get all the light it needs and maybe then some.

My LFS has plenty of it. If I combine hornwort with floating anacharis, what kind of care would the anacharis need? Sounds like hornwort is one of the easiest floating plants to grow and manage. Can the same be said for anacharis? I would add that because I like variety, and if it, too, is a nitrate glutton, so much the better.

-- mermaid