PDA

View Full Version : My poor betta!

FullMETAL
11-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm guessing this post is probably way past due, but I'm hoping it could help out anyone who thinks their betta may be constipated and does NOT assume the worst. I hope I uploaded my pic correctly and you can view the attachment.

I thought my betta may have gotten constipated since I was just feeding him the betta pellets. I read a few posts on constipated bettas and fasted him for 2 days and started feeding him freeze dried blood worms. He started defacating. Problem is that his massive swollen gut has not gone down.

Now I'm assuming the worst... maybe dropsy! However his scales don't appear to be jutting out like some pictures I've seen. None the less I treated him for dropsy using maracyn-two like the instructions said and this bulgde has not gone down. I'm assuming that it has infected him beyond treatment.

The only other idea is that he may be dying of old age and this swollen abdomen is something of his termination. I only found out recently from researching this issue that they live up to 2 years. I can't remember when my wife bought him, but he was in her office for some time, then my office, then our home... I'm guessing he's at least a year and a half!

Any ideas of what this is? He is really fighting hard but I'm afriad he is just in pain and I'm wondering if he could talk he would tell me to put him out of his misery. :scry: If this is so, How can I do this "humanely"?

BTW He has been like this for about 3-4 weeks...

Xavier
11-22-2010, 05:56 PM
That does not look like constipation. That looks far worse. I have never seen a picture of that sort of problem. Could it be swim bladder? A tumor?

I really wish I could help.

Sarkazmo
11-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Could be a tumor... Bloat would've killed him by now. Is his water heated? Raising the temp of the water to 78-80F may give him more energy and if the tank's unheated heat will definitely make a difference over room temp. It looks like bloat... it looks like maybe a tumor... If the water's really cool I'd guess gases from food going undigested in his gut. So hard to tell.

Sark

EDIT: You could try treating for bloat, I recommend Clout.

FullMETAL
11-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the replies!

The water is NOT heated. I'll go ahead and take your advice and treat for bloat and get a heater for him.

I really love this guy! We've all been through some hard times together and I can't give up on him. He's a fighter! Thank you for the advice you guys!:shappy:

Xavier
11-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Looking at a lot of pics online, I think I have to agree with Sarkazmo. Poor guy is constipated and probably has swim bladder problems.

kurly
11-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Poor thing, that looks pretty painful.

One of my Bolivian Rams is in QT for constipation right now. He isn't nearly as bad as your Betta but I don't like seeing him looking so uncomfortable.

Hope you can figure out what's wrong with him and your little Buddy gets better soon.