PDA

View Full Version : Constipated betta

Xavier
11-22-2010, 12:59 AM
So before I switched my bettas food from some unknown brand to NLS, he became constipated. I fasted him for 2 days and this morning I fed him a pea (cooked, de-shelled and cut up). He still has a bulge near his digestive tract.

His behaviour was normal until tonight, when he started to become lethargic. He perks up when he sees me, but I fear for his life.

I've read that the next course of action is daphnia, although I don't know if it should be live or freeze dried.

Advice?

Water parameters
ph 7.4
temp 25C
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10

Brhino
11-22-2010, 02:04 AM
You can try an epsom salt bath. Here's a link that Taurus showed me when my gourami was constipated:

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/constipation.php

Xavier
11-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Gave him his first Epsom salt bath today. Noticed that he has a huge tear in his tail :(

Poor little guy got all white when I transferred him. He is back in the 15gal. Tomorrow morning he'll go back in the epsom salt.

Should I feed him a pea tonight?

Brhino
11-22-2010, 11:31 PM
did he poop after the last pea you fed him? If not, I wouldn't cram any more food down there.

Xavier
11-23-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm feeling really stupid right now. I looked more online for pictures of constipated bettas and mine looks nothing like that.... constipated bettas seem to have a bulge near their heads, versus mine which is in the back near the tail.

I looked at a diagram, and the only thing in that section of its body is the swim bladder. I'll read some more, but what is the cause of a slightly bulging swim bladder?

Xavier
11-23-2010, 03:44 PM
After examining loads of betta pics, I've come to the conclusion that my betta is fine. Seems that it is normal to see the swim bladder from the outside from time to time. My guess is that it will show less when he gets a little fatter.

I fed him last night and this morning. He seems much happier. I will keep a close eye on him and change some water today. With any luck he will recover from my paranoia.

On a side note, there are insufficient high quality diagrams of a betta's internals online. If anyone happens to have one, it would be of great help to starting betta owners.