PDA

View Full Version : Got a sick Betta...

MercenaryKarma
11-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Guys, I have crown tail betta that has stopped eating the past few days and has been very lethargic. He just lies on the sand or on my algae magnet pretty much the whole day. He only swims up to get air. He used to have a nice deep red color but lately he's starting to look pale. I just don't know whats wrong.

I noticed the once brilliantly flowing tail on my betta looks all shriveled up. I don't think they have been nipped. He does have neons and rummynose tetras as his tankmates and I have observed to see if they nip his tail but they don't. I keep the tank at 78 and feed him betta food which he always loved. Now he don't eat no more. I also noticed his fin that he uses to swim and steer is turning white.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Xavier
11-21-2010, 02:59 AM
It is hard to tell, but in the first pic, it looks like there is a bulge near the end of his body. If there is, that means he is constipated.

MercenaryKarma
11-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Here's another pic of my betta. This time I was able to get a pic of his fins. It looks all shriveled up and there appears to be some white stuff on it. Could it be ick? Or some kind of fungal growth?

Xavier
11-21-2010, 05:12 AM
He doesn't look constipated at least...

BTW, don't leave the magnet in there. I've read of those things polluting the water if you leave them in.

I'd like to know what your water parameters are.

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

MercenaryKarma
11-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Thanks, didn't know about the magnet polluting the water. I'll take it out. Here are my parameters.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10

Sarkazmo
11-21-2010, 08:20 AM
What's his age? He may be getting close to the end of his life.

The white edging does indeed look like fungus. You could treat him in a QT tank, a gallon jar or something, just as long as you change the water every couple of days and keep him warm. I'd treat with Melafix and in fact what I'm using right now to treat my CT with fungus. Fast him for a couple days and begin treatment, you'll probably see a difference in him within a day or two if it's fungal.

Sark