PDA

View Full Version : Diseased Platy

ChurchofAdam
06-27-2007, 02:39 AM
I can't seem to find a disease matching these symptoms... at least, nothing that's a dead giveaway.

Fish is a red platy, about 1 or 1.5 inches. symptoms listed in the order I observed them.
1.clamped fins
2.discolouration on side towards rear (whitish/pink, looks more like lost scales than fuzz)
3.weight loss
4.very hungry (sometimes)
5.unbalanced swimming (one time dashing for food made her spiral out of control and do a few barrel rolls)

there's no noticeable bend in the spine.

any help would be much appreciated

YaYgoldFish
06-27-2007, 02:50 AM
I dont see how it could look skinnier but be eating more than unsual. Maybe try feeding a little more than usual. As for the other symptoms im not too sure. Try this site:
http://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

cocoa_pleco
06-28-2007, 03:59 AM
dropsy possibly???

SkarloeysMom
06-28-2007, 10:22 PM
When my betta had dropsy and he swelled up, stopped eating and then pineconed out. Your fish's symptoms could be TB.

I've had a few fish that I'm pretty sure had TB. They had different combinations of symptoms. Two had very crooked spines and not much else. One got totally emaciated but was still eating and did not have a crooked spine. From what I've read online there are quite a few symptoms of TB and fish can have some or all of them. The problem is its really hard to be sure and there's not much you can do to cure it from what I've read.

Lady Hobbs
06-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Sometimes it's best to get rid of a fish for the sake of the others. It's hardly worth the treatment sometimes for a $1.50 fish that might make the others ill.

ChurchofAdam
06-29-2007, 02:32 AM
yeah, I didn't want to euthanize her if it wasn't necessary even though platies are inexpensive fish... I have no idea if she's terminal or not. definitely getting worse though

SkarloeysMom
06-29-2007, 02:33 AM
I just found this site that may relate to what you're seeing <http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#External>