View Full Version : Sponge Filter

davidgale
11-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Help how do sponge filters work.
Do i nee to put charcoal inside.
Hoping to use it in my fry tank soon.

Sarkazmo
11-20-2010, 04:29 AM
Sponge filters are powered by an air pump. They serve as mechanical and biological filtration with a rare few allowing chemical filtration via activate carbon. Carbon's only needed if you're removing meds and such from the water. Air rising in the lift tube pulls water through the sponge(s). You can use them for purely mechanical filtration and change the water a lot or you can season them in a cycled tank for about a month to a month and a half and then put it into service in a fry or QT tank. They work very well and don't 'break' like power filters can although the air pump can still die on ya. They can be used as the sole filter or can be used in conjunction with other filters. I have two double sponge filters in my 10G Shelly tank as well as a Penguin 100 HOB power filter. The water is always crystal clear and there's no trace of ammonia or nitrites despite the fact that there's 5 adults and 50 or so fry with new broods on the way and I dump powdered food in the tank every day.

Sark

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2010, 04:38 AM
Airline goes from the air pump, down the center of the tube and attaches. Nothing else needed besides pump and airline.

http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/fish/aquarium-supplies/filters/hydro-sponge-filters/prodHydroSpongeFilters.html

There are other kinds, as well.