PDA

View Full Version : training pleco

bob saget
11-19-2010, 10:07 PM
i saw some clips on youtube with people having plecos eating out of their hands, and i was wondering how to go about trying to get my pleco to do this? has anyone tried?

Michael Milligan
11-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Try.

Get a food that it really likes and see if it will take it from your finger. Over time it will associate your fingers with food. In time the fish should zoom to the top when you open the lid, just like all the other fish. :)

Michael Milligan
11-19-2010, 10:42 PM
oh.. I see we are from the same town!

Want to start a native marine tank? It's fun!

bob saget
11-19-2010, 11:26 PM
i can barely keep up with my poor guys :D, but yea, interesting you from vancouver as well. i may have to ask you for help in the future :D

Pleco380
11-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm a few hours from you guys. lol, we're all from BC! I find it takes time for a pleco to trust you. When he trusts you, then start training him. Mine aren't scared of me at all but are lazy and I've given up on training them. Also, try turning the light on at the same time every day (timer). Then they get used to the light and come out more often. An easy fish to train is a betta or paradise fish. I've trained both my bettas and the pradise fish I used to have.

bob saget
12-07-2010, 07:47 AM
he is still very scared of me :( oh well, baby steps...

Australian natives
12-07-2010, 08:17 AM
my angelfish was pecking my fingers today during the water change lol. he is the dominant fish in the tank though so he isn't scared of much. he killed GEEZUS! today =[. hopefully he wont kill bolivian rams, as i am considering adding them soon.

Scrup
12-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Be careful with catfish, those spines are no joke. Don't know about smaller pleco's but commons get some nasty little armored points all down there back and sides as well, can give ya a neat little scrape.

Granted you are probably not dealing with the 16" monsters I have...:)

DrNic
12-07-2010, 07:35 PM
I've been trying to train my pleco as well. I've been told that if you start to finger feed your fish in general the plecos will eventually figure it out and come up. You just have to be really consistent with it and make sure that you do it daily (or twice a day). It also helps if you do it separate from normal feeding times as they don't always associate feeding time with hand feedings.

bob saget
12-08-2010, 04:48 AM
very interesting, thank you. no my guy is about 6-8 inches in length, and is very active around the tank. when i tried feding him a piece of zuchini, he would just shuffle away :) :( the spike at the bottom edge of his tail is very sharp though.