PDA

View Full Version : our pond is covered now:)

Beeliz
11-18-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm hoping this is going to be a good winter for my fish outside...I covered my raised brick pond with placing boards across it,,then a sheet of thick plastic over top of that,,I also have the pump running making the water bubble on the surface strong so it won't freeze. this is my first winter with the pond,,fingers crossed!!!
I also will have to keep the snow from piling up on it,,so I'll just clear it off after a significant snowfall..

smaug
11-18-2010, 10:48 PM
That's a recipe for disaster. The fish need an air exchange and the plastic tarp will prevent that. Because it is raised it has no insulation from the cold by the earth. Ponds like this can freeze the whole way to the bottom because of this. An air bubbler will not keep the pond from freezing if you are in a cold climate,the best thing for that is a floating heater that keeps an air exchange hole open. How deep is the pond,how many gallons and what type fish?

Beeliz
11-19-2010, 12:29 AM
it's 4 feet in the center,,dug deeper into the earth than the walls. I don't have a bubbler,,it's a really strong pump, which won't allow the water to freeze over. the plastic tarp isn't sealed,it's allowing air to circulate in and out.
the dimensions are 6 feet by 6 feet and 4 feet deep in the center.

Pleco380
11-19-2010, 12:54 AM
the plastic tarp isn't sealed,it's allowing air to circulate in and out.

So there is an opening so lots of air can get in? And I'm assuming these are Koi in the pond?

Beeliz
11-19-2010, 02:29 AM
there are 2 koi and the rest are goldfish..(6 in total)
the pond is covered but not sealed,it's got air flow...I am going to add bags of leaves around the structure as well for added insulation.
The cover is to keep snow from gathering or rain ect,,but it's not a tight fitted cover. I want to explain as best i can,,,there are unleveled ,natural rocks that are the top layer of the pond,,,the "tarp" is laying across it,but over a board that is lying on top of it..so there are small places for air to come in and out..but won't let snow or rain overflow or accumulate on top.

HeatherB
11-19-2010, 02:43 AM
Beeliz- I would just uncover it. Adding some insulation around the pond is a good idea- I don't know how much leaves will provide though.

My pond in the ground- but when we had the 18 inches of snow here it was completely covered in snow and ice and my fish still survived. I tried to make sure their was a hole for air exchange- but I wasn't about to trapse thru 2 ft of snow!

If you were able, I would get a 55g. or larger rubbermaid tub- longer is better- and put your fish in that for the winter.