PDA

View Full Version : Blue Lobster With Eggs???????

tiggyntazzy
11-16-2010, 08:23 PM
I have just noticed that my freshwater blue lobster has many eggs underneath her tail.
The isn't any other crayfish in the tank just her, we have had her over a year now and she is 6inches long.
Can anyone tell me why she produced eggs without a male present, is this a common thing that happens or what? Can they reproduce themselves without a male present.:help:

Sarkazmo
11-16-2010, 09:37 PM
I would assume that she's just producing eggs... I wonder if she could be self cloning or maybe carried sperm for a year? Hard to tell, I'm not an expert on crays.

Sursion
11-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Fish can't have sex, so they reproduce by laying the eggs, and then a male fertalizes them after. Your crayfish may not realize there's no males around and lay the eggs anyway.

Some freshwater species like Apple snails can carry sperm for a long time however. I'm not sure if crayfish are like that or not. You should do some research online.

Brhino
11-16-2010, 10:12 PM
certain species of crayfish, such as the Marbled Crayfish, are "all female". A single one is capable of producing viable eggs on its own. Other species require a male and female specimen.

A "Blue Lobster" is a crayfish with a blue color variation and could be one of several different species of crayfish, so it's hard to say if the eggs are fertilized or not. My gut feeling is that the female would not carry around unfertilized eggs, but that's just a guess. It's certainly a possibility that the eggs will hatch.