PDA

View Full Version : Betta illness unknown

SwordTaleLair
11-16-2010, 05:03 PM
OK, I came home last night and was doing my fish rounds when I noticed my Betta, in his own 10 gallon tank, had a white patch on his caudal fin. It appeared to be possible ich, so I started taking measures for that. After the water change and increased salt [2 tbsp/10 gallons] I started watching him. He is active, swimming around but not using his caudal fin which I expected. He is not eating either.

This morning, I checked and half his caudal fin is missing, the white spot has "eaten" through his fin, and is spreading. I see no other spots on him yet. I am afraid when I get home, he will be worse.

I plan on picking up some pimafix or melafix in an attempt to stave any bacterial or fungal issue, but wanted to consult the oracle here as well for possible alternative ideas.

Thanks folks ~ :22:
STL

Sarkazmo
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Mela and Pima will help but I don't think they're strong enough to save him as this seems to be growing quickly. That's a serious fungal or bacterial infection and the fact that it's developed so quickly makes me think bacterial. I'd start treatment with broad spectrum antibiotics. Many antibiotics will kill of the beneficial bacteria in your filter as well so QT treatment is recommended.

Look for meds that contain any of the following:
Erythromycin
Minocycline
Tetracycline

Some bands/meds to look for:
Maricyn
Maricyn-Two
API's Triple Sulfa
API's Furan-2

Basically an anti-biotic is what you need. If he's not in a heated tank, he should be, lower temps can help the bacteria.

Sark

SwordTaleLair
11-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Great! Thanks, I was afraid it may be bacterial, and although I didn't mention it in my OP, I was planning on putting a larger heater in there tonight from a 20 gallon. I have one of those non adjustable ones in there now which keept it a steady 76 degrees, but I really dont like no adjustment. With the weather getting colder, I may have to get one that can up its output as a permanent solution.

Will let you know how it goes.

STL.

SwordTaleLair
11-16-2010, 08:03 PM
I am getting less and less appreciative of my [only] LFS [I wouldn't call it that though]. I took my lunch and bolted over there to see what they had. The ONLY thing they had was BettaFix by API, and it contains "Melaleuca". http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=79

I got it out of the interest of expedience, but I am not sure how strong it will work. I can't believe the sheer lack of options that place has. The only other option was Maricyn-2, but that was labeled saltwater only.

AGH!

Sarkazmo
11-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Bettafix is diluted Melafix. Some say that Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca) is bad for any of the labyrinth fishes like Betta, Gourami, Paradise fish, etc. I've used Melafix at full strength on a few my by Betta without issue. It'll help but I don't think it's strong enough to wipe out whatever this is. Follow the instructions but first do a water change to get it as clean as possible. It's an additive med so you keep adding a dose daily and don't do a water change until (I think) 7 days of daily treatments. Good luck, maybe check a local WalMart or some place that might have a pet section. I really think this needs serious antibacterial medicine.

Sark

teddscau
11-17-2010, 03:10 AM
I'd definately start treatment right away. You should definately use the Melafix since it contains tea tree oil. The tea tree oil works well at killing bacteria and fungas. I'd do a large water change every two days while treating him. I have know idea what's causing his problem but whatever it is better be treated quick! Can fish get staph infections? There's a type of staph that spread quickly (covers a HUGE ammount of the body in 24 hours) and eats away at flesh. There was a person on 1000 Ways to Die who got it. It wasn't pretty. Lets hope it's not that! If worse comes to worse take him out of his tank and put some diluted vodka on his owie. It should wipe out the disease in no time (it might sting a little though).

SwordTaleLair
11-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Well, as of this morning, he's lost most all of his caudal tail. I treated him with the bettafix last night [forgot the water change though, but tested, and registered at 0,0,20,8.4 which is what the water has been all along] but it took over half the bottle for a 10 gallon tank! Didn't like it, but I did what I had to. I dont have a smaller tank that can be heated.

I will look tonight for something else. He is still alert and just wont move much or eat. So far its only appeared on his hind fin and hopefully the treatment last night stopped the progression at least. Will see what is what when I get home from work...

Dont know which would benefit more from the vodka - him or me? :hmm3grin2orange:

SwordTaleLair
11-19-2010, 03:32 AM
Well, its over as of last night. I haev never seen an infection kill as fast as this did. I got home from work yesterday, and his tail was mostly gone, but he appeared more active, swimming as best he could without a caudal fin. I went to eat, and about two hours later I went to medicate the tank again, and I found him on the top floating with his gill plate flared out.

I tested the water again, its the exact same as it was before. Whatever it was took less than 48 hours to do my fish in. whoah!

Well, I'll do a big water change, keep the meds in the tank to kill it and find something else to put in the tank. The khuli loach is still kicking in there though, seemingly unaffected.

SwordTaleLair
11-19-2010, 03:37 AM
Believe it or not, this was taken about 2 hours before his demise...