PDA

View Full Version : So very mad at myself!

HeatherB
11-16-2010, 04:00 AM
I inadvertantly cooked one of my bettas today.

This morning when I went to feed the divided tank (home to 2 bettas) I happened to put my hand on the outside of the tank and noticed it was awfully warm. Checked the temp and it was about 87 to 90. I was running short on time this morning and so, I thought maybe I just had the heater too high- and turned it down to low. Figured they could take the drop in temp- thus it would happen not too rapidly.

This afternoon when I got home- I checked on it- the temp was about 97 degrees. I couldn't believe it. I guess the heater has a broken thermostat or something. So, the betta in the section with the heater was cooked. I was very upset. This was one of my more favorite bettas.

Needless to say the thermometer has been trashed and I put another heater in that seems to be working well.

At least I didn't lose both of them.

Xavier
11-16-2010, 04:25 AM
:(
I'm sorry for your loss. It never occurred to me that a heater could malfunction and raise the temperature so high...

Mrs.JayMay23
11-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Sorry to hear about that! :scry: On the bright side though you still have the other one. :11:

Sarkazmo
11-16-2010, 06:08 AM
Sorry for the loss. :(

What kind of heater was it?

Sark

mermaidwannabe
11-16-2010, 06:28 AM
If your heater malfunctioned, nobody can say that was your fault. The logical thing would be to turn it down, which you did. Don't beat yourself up. It was an honest accident.

I, too, would like to know what brand of heater that was. If I decide to go tropical, I sure wouldn't want a piece of trash regulating the temperature.

Sorry for your loss. Things happen, despite our most conscientious care, sometimes.

-- mermaidwannabe

fishn00b
11-17-2010, 01:10 AM
I lost a betta myself last week...but when I went to replace him, I was reminded that without betta enthusiasts like ourselves, many of them would simply die in one of those cups, on a shelf in a pet store.

I guess since they can only keep one in a tank, its more profitable to stock them all in a bunch of cups on a shelf, makes me sick every time.

Anyway the point is i'm sure you gave him a better life then he would have otherwise so don't beat yourself up...that is of course unless you caught him yourself in Thailand or something ;-)

teddscau
11-17-2010, 01:41 AM
Poor baby! They should really put an emergency shut off on those things for when they break. They've invented surge protectors, so why not emergency shut downs for heaters?

HeatherB
11-17-2010, 02:27 AM
Thanks guys. It was a Top Fin 50W heater. I have only had it for about a year. Poo. I guess now my other betta can have a whole 10 gallons to himself.

teddscau
11-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Sorry for hijacking your thread!

Know what your broken heater reminds me of? A couple of summers ago dozens of frogs/toads laid hundreds of eggs in our pool (don't worry, they laid them on top of the winter blanket. No chlorine involved). I scooped up most of the tadpoles and eggs and put them in a plastic kiddy pool. I had them for at least a month. All the eggs hatched and the tadpoles grew. As the summer progressed it got hotter and hotter (I couldn't move the pool to the shade because it had at least 20g in it). One day I checked on my tadpoles and the aweful stench of rottening fish filled the air. 95% of the tadpoles had died from the heat and lack of oxygen. It was aweful! There must have been at least a hundred tadpoles in that pool! I had to sort through the bodies to find the remaining live ones! We drove to a river and dumped the remaining tadpoles in it. I feel so bad that they died! At least I sorted out the weak from the strong! Good genetics only now!

HeatherB
11-17-2010, 04:56 AM
We had about a million tadpoles in the pond this year. It was the frogs favorite place! Xrated it was!! haha!

I was wondering why the fish were not eating and turns out they got huge on tadpoles. Kinda cool- because out of the 10 or so that grew up (alot of tadpoles were uh...sacrificed when the pond was drained....) but out of the 10 or so- there is still like, 4 frogs that stay nearby.