PDA

View Full Version : JAva Fern MAtts

BiGBlak
11-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Im planning on buying about 2 or 3 of these and wanted to know how exactly do i plant it ? really asking could i just burry the mat with a thin layer ? i want it to be a background plant . thanks.

DrNic
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Where are you getting the mat? Is it made of java ferns mounted on some kind of a mesh, or is it just a huge plant?

Ferns typically don't need to be under the gravel so I would just put the mat on the gravel or driftwood, might need some rocks to keep it down, and you should be fine.

BiGBlak
11-15-2010, 07:47 PM
its a mother plant so the fern is about 8-10 inches tall and the mat is about 6-8 inches long. . . Im basically asking since its already attaches to the mat and i want to hide the bottom part would throwing a thin layer of sand atop do the job because im not sure if the whole mat thing is all roots itself... dont want to end up killing it since it cost 20 buks each

dragoonwoman
11-15-2010, 08:03 PM
I'd just let it sink to the bottom, maybe tuck a stone on each end, but I wouldn't bury any part of the roots, myself.

It should be heavy enough to just drop down to the gravel and stay there. If you leave it like that, it would be easy to lift up for cleaning, when needed.

BiGBlak
11-15-2010, 08:26 PM
I'd just let it sink to the bottom, maybe tuck a stone on each end, but I wouldn't bury any part of the roots, myself.

It should be heavy enough to just drop down to the gravel and stay there. If you leave it like that, it would be easy to lift up for cleaning, when needed.
yea true. I just didnt want it to look tacky with the mat showing. i will probabaly add some medium size pebbles around it to hold it down .

dbosman
11-15-2010, 11:50 PM
its a mother plant so the fern is about 8-10 inches tall and the mat is about 6-8 inches long. . . Im basically asking since its already attaches to the mat and i want to hide the bottom part would throwing a thin layer of sand atop do the job because im not sure if the whole mat thing is all roots itself... dont want to end up killing it since it cost 20 buks each

Just weight it down. You can bury the roots but do NOT bury the rhizome.
If you bury the rhizome it will likely die. You want about 75% of the rhizome out of the substrate, exposed to light. You can by the way, break or cut it into a bunch of smaller plants. Leave at least one leaf node on each piece of rhizome.