PDA

View Full Version : I've got Baby Cherry Shrimpies!

kurly
11-15-2010, 06:36 PM
I was just feeding my Red Cherry Shrimps and I noticed an itsy bitsy little shrimp on the glass. I kept looking because I didn't think that my Cherry Shrimps would be breeding so soon and I saw a couple more itsy bitsy ones on the glass. There are a few more on the driftwood and plant leaves so I guess I can finally say that something I own has finally breeded!

I never even noticed any of them carrying eggs or saddled or anything so I am quite surprised that I've got baby cherries.

I know that they aren't that difficult to breed but... Anyway.... I've got baby Cherry Shrimps! :19: :19: :19:

ippielb
11-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Congrats! I bought 20 cherry shrimp, 10 didn't make the trip home. But they replaced themselves! Repopulated to around 40, then i put my bolivians in with them, and there's 5 smart ones left in that tank, but i took out a bunch of little ones and put them in my 90 gallon.

They're going to keep multiplying now! Soon you'll have 5 that are going to be making more! haha

kurly
11-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks! It's funny that I am so excited over the easiest invertebrate that can breed, but hey, it's my first time seeing a baby anything in over 4 years of fishkeeping.

Sarkazmo
11-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Heh, congrats. If you check some of my older posts I've got pics from when mine were so tiny.

Sark

~Col~
11-16-2010, 03:32 AM
Congrats! I have about 30 RCS fry in my little hex at the moment. Although watch when you clean your tank...I think I squished one of mine. :(

gadget228
11-16-2010, 12:17 PM
You sound like a proud poppa... :ssmile:

Congrats on your new additions... thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
11-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Congrats on new new babies. I luv cherry shrimp.

kurly
11-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I need to change the water tomorrow and am going to be extra careful. I hope I don't suck up any little ones in my syphon. They are soooo small

I'm sure I'll have more soon too because several of the older females are carrying more eggs :ssuprised:

~Col~
11-17-2010, 06:50 AM
LOL That's why I didn't use my syphon. I didn't want to chance it. I used a container and scouped the water out bit by bit.

kurly
11-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Good idea ~Col~. That's what I'll do when I change the water in my shrimp tank today.

Lady Hobbs
11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Put a piece of a nylon stocking over the vacuum wand. I do that in my neon tank. You can also hold a fish net over the tube. Have you got a sponge filter for them so they aren't sucked up into the filter?

kurly
11-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for mentioning that Lady but yes, I have a sponge on the intaketune of my filter. I learned that the hard way when I had my first tank full of micro fish. Went to bed one night and woke up the next morning with only 2 out of 10 swimming in my tank. Couldn't find them anywhere and I was soooo confused. Someone told me to check the filter so I pulled my media out of the filter and there they were swimming around in circles in the filter.. lol. Poor little guys. All of them survived but did put a sponge on that intake tube as soon as I retrieved them.

SunSchein89
11-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Congrats thumbs2: . Mine should be hatching out any day now, I'm really excited for it, so you're not the only one :lol:

kurly
11-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks SunShein89! I'm glad someone else is as excited as I am about seeing baby cherries. I've had a few cherry shrimp in the past but I only bought a couple here and there. I don't think I had enough for them to breed and I also had them in the tank with other fish so if they did, the babies were probably gobbled up by the fish. I've got two HUGE female cherry shrimp in my main tank right now that are as big as my tetras and still growing. I didn't think they could get so big.

I finally decided to use my 10 gallon planted tank as a Shrimp only tank because it was sitting there empty which didn't make any sense. I'm glad I made it a Shrimp tank because it's fun to sit and watch all of them swim around and land here and there. And even funner now that I see these itsy bitsy shrimp on plant leaves and driftwood.

Let us know when you have some little ones so I can celebrate with you too!

BTW, I love your name :ssmile: It has a nice little ring to it when you say it.

SunSchein89
11-19-2010, 03:00 AM
Ha, thanks :ssmile: . My last name is actually Schein (pronounced "shine"), and I was born in '89, so it just kind off all rolls of the tongue.