PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions (Lighting/ Plant Selection Questions)

EmmanuelJB
11-15-2010, 02:55 AM
Today I decided I wanted to plant my 60 gallon hexagon aquarium. I bought some crypts, amazon swords, and java ferns to start off. On this tank I only have 3, 15 watt florescent light strips with a metal reflector, and I am not sure if this is enough lighting... If it isn't enough lighting, is there any inexpensive solution?

Also I am wondering what some good plants for the tank would be? Specifically ones that would reach the top of the tank (its 28" tall).

Thanks!!

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention the tank sits next to a window so some sunlight gets in.

domjd05
11-15-2010, 03:17 AM
Unfortunately you really don't want sunlight hitting your tank if you can help it. Hex tanks can be hard to plant, because it's hard to find lighting fixtures of sufficient strength that will fit on the odd footprint of the tank. Also at 28'' it's considered a "tall" tank which means you would need even stronger lighting than normal to obtain proper lighting levels. You have chosen relatively easy plants to care for, but at current levels you have less than 1wpg of lighting and we don't even know what spectrum you have. You are probably going to want around between 1-2wpg for a low-tech planted tank, and yes it probably will cost a bit of money to find something that will fit the hex tank.

Anyway, vals, "onion" plants (the bulb kind) and many stem plants can easily get that tall...with some decent lighting.

funkman262
11-15-2010, 07:06 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with letting some sunlight in the tank. I have a planted tank (plants only, no livestock) set up next to a window without any additional lighting (in fact, there isn't ANY equipment running on it). After about a month after setting it up, I'm seeing fantastic growth in all of the plants. Some of them are growing better than in my tank with 2+wpg T5HO and CO2 injection.

If you want to save money on equipment, I'd suggest for you to look into setting up a Walstad style tank. This method encourages the use of sunlight, soil, and low- to medium-light plants.

EmmanuelJB
11-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Ok thanks! I guess I will see how the tank does. Hopefully the plants do well!