PDA

View Full Version : Ferts causing foggy water?

DrNic
11-15-2010, 12:54 AM
I did a water change yesterday and added another round of root tabs into my tank. Much to my surprise today my water is foggy. The root tabs are the only addition to the tank aside from the standard water change. A few months ago I also had foggy water that I thought was algae but I'm wondering if that was from the previous addition of the tabs.

Has anyone else had problems with ferts clouding their water? I'm using Excel flourish and root tabs (although I haven't added the Flourish for about a week, new bottle is in the mail).

Thanks for the comments!

EddyC
11-15-2010, 01:19 AM
Did you stir up the substrate a bit when you added the root tabs? And are you using a gravel substrate? I find that when I stir up the gravel I knock up some residual gravel "dust" that didn't come off in when I pre-rinsed it before setting up the tank. It gives the water a foggy look, but there are no visible particles. It goes away in a day or two. It's because of this that I always add the tabs before breaking out the siphon and doing a water change.

DrNic
11-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Nope, the gravel was untouched. I typically don't mess with the gravel every water change. I just finger buried the tabs under my lillies, nothing got kicked up.

EddyC
11-15-2010, 02:54 AM
Huh. That would lead me to believe that it is the ferts causing the cloudiness, though I've never heard of it happening before. Algal blooms, yeah, but not cloudiness.

rich311k
11-15-2010, 12:22 PM
What kind of tabs were they? It has never happened to me but that does not mean it is not possible. Where they completely buried?

Lady Hobbs
11-15-2010, 01:21 PM
We had someone else say the same thing not long ago and he thought his corys had dug the tabs up. I use tabs, too, and also have never had any clouding of the tank.

DrNic
11-15-2010, 04:27 PM
The tabs are directly below the lilies which are quite large so I don't think the fish have dug them up. I've never used anything like this before. Those were my last 2 from that batch. I'll have to keep an eye out and see if it happens with my new ones next time.