PDA

View Full Version : Are my lights bright enough to support plants?

EmmanuelJB
11-14-2010, 02:49 AM
About a month and a half ago I got some plants for my 10 gallon planted aquarium I started, and some of the plants are doing well and some are not. I was planning on getting a brighter light but that ended up getting delayed and I am stuck with the one I have right now for a while. It is a florescent 2 bulb hood (15 watts each) plus a little light from my windows gets into the aquarium. I bought 4 plants, Crypts, Java Ferns, Amazon Swords, and Anubias. From the beginning the large leaves on the Amazon swords started to die off and the Java ferns didn't look that great to begin with and they don't look any better (probably even a little worse) now. So I am wondering what would of caused some of the plants to do very well and others not to?

Thanks!

MCHRKiller
11-14-2010, 03:17 AM
Your lighting is very much adequate assuming it is in the right spectrum....5500-8000K being optimal...you can even get up to 10,000K with good results. I would assume your problem is nutrient related, what is your substrate? And what is your fertilization if any? Crypts and Amazon swords need a very rich substrate, good quality plant substrate with root tabs and mulm will make them grow nice. Ferns and anubias get most of their nutrients from the water column...so you need a good liquid fertilizer as well. Also when was the last time you changed your aquarium bulbs? If they are over a year old...ditch them.

EmmanuelJB
11-14-2010, 03:26 AM
I am using fluorite for substrate so that shouldn't be to problem. I have also been adding flourish excel into the aquarium (I am not sure if this is recommended or not). I planted the amazon swords next to the filter and the larger leaves were getting pulled up against it, so that could of been what killed the amazon swords. I just moved what as left of them to a different location in the tank so hopefully they do well.

korith
11-14-2010, 03:28 AM
I am using fluorite for substrate so that shouldn't be to problem. I have also been adding flourish excel into the aquarium (I am not sure if this is recommended or not). I planted the amazon swords next to the filter and the larger leaves were getting pulled up against it, so that could of been what killed the amazon swords. I just moved what as left of them to a different location in the tank so hopefully they do well.

Flourish is fine. For plants like amazon swords which are heavy root feeders, adding fertilizer root tablets will help a lot more.

MCHRKiller
11-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Excel only provides a liquid form of CO2 it provides no other nutrients, you will need to get a good general liquid fertilizer such as Flourish Comprehensive and some root tab...any will do.

EmmanuelJB
11-14-2010, 04:01 AM
Ok thanks!

Do I continue to add the Flourish Excel with the Flourish Comprehensive?

MCHRKiller
11-14-2010, 04:02 AM
Yes, the Excel will ward off algae and help with the uptake of certain nutrients in the Comp. :22:

Sarkazmo
11-14-2010, 04:06 AM
I agree, root feeders need tabs although the Flourite will provide a lot of iron to the plants but there's other nutrients and minerals that're needed. Flourish as fertilizer for most plants, tabs for root feeders, Excel to provide carbon (like CO2.) Remember, Flourish and Flourish Excel are different products. Flourish is fertilizer, Excel is essentially liquid CO2. Excel also has an algacide so DO NOT use with Marimo Moss Balls (which is actually an algae and not a moss.) The lights you have are great wattage wise but the spectrum, as Jen stated, is very important. I use 6500K-6700K rated bulbs and I find this to be closest to natural sunlight in colour.

Sark

EmmanuelJB
12-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Some of the new swords that began to regrow are dieing so I decided to check the lighting to make sure... Well I discovered the 2 bulbs are only 10 watts each, and I think the spectrum is 10,000k... Plus the hood is really crappy...

So what would be better?

2 of these:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/productDetailsPage.mtw?productId=10003201 (2, 20 watt, 10,000k)

or

2 of these:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Lighting_Replacement-Lamps-Bulbs_Fluorescent-Bulbs_Ultra-Sun-6500K-Mini-Compact-Fluorescent-Lamp.html?tc=fish (2, 10 watt 6500k)

MCHRKiller
12-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Just go to walmart in the household lighting section and pick up a twin pack of 15 watt 6500K daylight CFLs. Theyre like $6 for both.

EmmanuelJB
12-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Just go to walmart in the household lighting section and pick up a twin pack of 15 watt 6500K daylight CFLs. Theyre like $6 for both.
I went to both lowes and walmart, and there was no lightbulbs shaped like the ones I have pictures of above. The one 15 watt lightbulb they had, was a spiral one (not even sure its going to fit my tank) and there is no spectrum anywhere on the bulb...

MCHRKiller
12-04-2010, 06:35 PM
The are the more rounded incandescent household bulb replacements.

http://www.amazon.com/COMPACT-FLUORESCENT-SPIRAL-DAYLIGHT-SPECTRUM/dp/B000STIKPA

EmmanuelJB
12-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Well they had the 15 watts at Lowe's but there is no spectrum on them... So I guess I cant use those can I?

MCHRKiller
12-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Probably not, the 6500K ones I use say it down the right side in bold letters.

EmmanuelJB
12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
http://www.ottlite.com/p-270-15-watt-hd-compact-fluorescent-bulb.aspx#Page_4 Those are the bulbs I bought... I just sent a message to their customer service to find out the spectrum. If they are not the right spectrum I will probably just order the ones from Amazon.

Could I use those bulbs for now, or should I just keep the ones I have in the hood?

EDIT: It says natural lighting on the packaging... Not sure if that makes a difference?

EmmanuelJB
12-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I just got back from Rite aid and they had 15 watt 6500k bulbs! :shappy: :shappy: :shappy: :shappy:

dbosman
12-05-2010, 12:29 AM

Swords are heavy root feeders. Add some root tabs of some sort. Do a search on the forum for what I've suggested for others. By the way, even small ones can get to be a foot tall and wide. Some of the dwarfs will get to be about six inches when well fed.

Florite isn't fertilizer and doesn't supply any nutrients - by itself.
Florite is a high cation exchange media that makes for a good substrate or substrate additive. It helps hold and release. You have to add the nutrients.

Seachem Flourish Excel is a great source, after it breaks down, of bio available carbon. That is all it adds and it is usually used up by day two.

dbosman
12-05-2010, 12:35 AM
[QUOTE=EmmanuelJB]Some of the new swords that began to regrow are dieing so I decided to check the lighting to make sure...

Both the bulbs you referenced are worthless for a planted tank. I like Big Al's, but like every merchant some of what they sell is garbage.

You'll do much better at a big box store.
In spiral compact fluorescent bulbs, the brand I like currently is
Osram Sylvania (Now Smaller than ever) 23 watt daylight.
A two pack should run about $7.00 or so.
I've bought those at Lowe's and seen them at Walmart.
Your mileage may vary however.

The key to using the above bulbs in an incandescent hood is the (Now Smaller than ever) part. They'll even fit in a 5.5 gallon incandescent hood. I used one on my son's tank. we had five species of plants growing in it.

EmmanuelJB
12-05-2010, 12:40 AM
I do have root tabs in my tanks, probably too many.

EDIT: I am using the 15 watt 6500k I bought for now... That is a total of 30 watts in my aquarium, so that should be good.

MCHRKiller
12-05-2010, 12:49 AM
The spiral bulbs are not as good as PCs for example due to their shape causing restrike. But for a planted 10G the 2 15watt CFLs does fine for low light plants.

EmmanuelJB
12-09-2010, 03:53 AM
I received a response back from the ottlite customer service. They said the bulbs were 5000-6000k... Are these good for my tank? Can I save them and use them when the bulbs I bought go?

Thanks!

MCHRKiller
12-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Plants would grow under it but that spectrum is fairly yellow, you may not find it pleasing to look at.