PDA

View Full Version : Leaves turning brown..

pillairp
11-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I am new to this forum and happy to join you all :)

I have a new Aquarium and had few plants, but now its slowing shedding leaves. First it turns brown and then sheds.
Tank size : 4ft * 2 ft * 1ft
Power head and under water filter

I use liquid fertilizer once a week
Lights are on for 10 to 12 hrs
Neon tetra are introduced as a start up

Recently I have made DIY CO2 with sugar and yeast which worked for 1 week and after which I stopped.

Please suggest what else needs to be done to maintain a good planted Aquarium.

Also suggest some low light and easy to maintain plants for my tank.

Regards,
Rajesh

rokx
11-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Recently I have made DIY CO2 with sugar and yeast which worked for 1 week and after which I stopped.

Haha, why would you bother mentioning that XD

Anyway, in all seriousness, a 4ft is a huuuuuge tank to 'start' with; very difficult to manage. I started with a 10 litre hexagonal tank until I got the hang of things.
What plants have you tried? What filter have you got?

I would recommend you getting a small, second-hand tank, around 10 litres like mine, and get one with an undergravel filter and heater. Start with a couple of rocks and a piece of wood if you want, and try planting some Java ferns.
http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_javafern.php
Let it run for a few days, and introduce your neons, and feed as necessary.
With a small, simple set-up like this, it's very easy to maintain. No need for light, CO2 or fertilizer. You don't even need to keep it near a window. You just need to give it a weekly 50% water change with a gravel siphon.

While you're doing all this, you should read as much as possible (and save up as much money as possible) about maintaining aquariums, especially for one as big as your 4ft tank. AFTER you know what you're doing, then upgrade to your 4ft tank. I would even fore-go the 4ft still and go to a 2ft first.

Anyway, good luck

aquariums+me=happy
11-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Lighting in my opinion is the most important part! The more light you have in that tank, the better your plants will grow. You can also visit the pet store and ask for some liquid aquatic plant fertilizer. Check out my page on freshwater plant care: http://xhobbies.weebly.com/live-plants.html

CrazedMichael
11-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I'd say 20g is the minimum recommended for first timers, larger volumes of water the better. 4ft x 2ft x 1ft is around the 60g mark, which is not too small but can be slightly be too big but not too much

Aydreean
11-23-2010, 05:28 AM
the problem you are probably having is the amount of lighting you have present. I don't know the type of plants you have but when I started my planted tank I had several amazon swords in my 45 gallon tank with only 20w of lighting. Just because the tank is lit well doesn't mean the plants are getting enough light. All my plants turned brown and pretty much turned to dust. I upgraded to a 96w light and my plants are pretty good now. They are actually green too!

If I remember correctly the rule for a good amount of lighting is 2-3 watts per gallon. 96w is just at where I should be for my tank. If you have the standard overhead lights which is about 20 watts per tube, try getting some type of java moss or fern. I hear they don't require a lot of light and grow pretty well, but you need to attach them to a rock or wood for them to grow.

pillairp
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone for all the useful tips