PDA

View Full Version : Do I Have Correct Information? (Common Pleco Behavior)

Maisy
11-11-2010, 03:37 PM
So, I'm trying to get a new home for Leo, our common plecostomus. I have a craigslist ad up, and so far two people have contacted. The first already had another pleco in his 75g, so after telling him they tend to fight, he said he would have to pass.

The second person, however, has two commons in a 125g with two oscars, and a common in the 150g with two JDs, who says they'll be fine together.

Me: "Just as long as the tank is already cycled and established, and compatible fish are in there (goldfish and angels/discus sometimes get scales knocked off by larger ones, and plecos tend to fight when together), we'd love him to go to you. :)

But again, if you already have another pleco in there (especially if another common), I don't think it would be a good setup since they're quite territorial."

Them: "He should be fine I have a 125 that has 2 common placos and 2 oscars in that one he will be going into a 150 with 1 pleco and 2 jack dempseys "

I always have read that plecos (except some bristlenoses that I've heard about) are territorial and will fight. We've even kept two commons in our 29 and there was CONSTANT chasing. :s
(Yes, yes, please don't hate...we didn't know better :scry:)

Any help would be very much appreciated. We all just want him to go to a proper home.

(I hope including messages is okay; if not, mods, you can remove them, and I apologize.)

VoidParadigm
11-11-2010, 04:57 PM
While plecos can be territorial, not all individuals are.
Additionally, if provided enough room more than one pleco could be raised in the same tank.
I currently have two (though the species is unconfirmed yet) living in the same tank and they're fine, except for the odd scuffle over food or a favorite resting place - which happens with all fish.

Imo, the 150 gallon probably isn't the greatest option, but as it's much, much bigger than your current tank it will be extremely better for the pleco.

Maisy
11-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Oooh, yes, forgot about individuals, hehe.

Well, I'm glad that someone who has such a large tank happened to see it. At least he'll have plent of swimming room. :ssmile:

Thanks for the info!

Scrup
11-12-2010, 04:54 PM
I have three commons in one tank, they get along fine aside from the food scuffles now and then, even then it is not violent, the smaller ones just get pushed away by the bigger one.

Maisy
11-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks so much for the help, guys!

As you can tell, I'm no plecostomus person, hehe.
Thank goodness this forum is so helpful. :ssmile:

Operation: Re-Home Leo was a failure, though. The person did not show up. :(

Hopefully we can re-schedule and get him in a proper enviroment. I am very surprised that there is someone with a tank larger than thirty gallons around here. :sconfused:

When I put Leo in from his cooler when we got home, the poor guy was so stressed that he turned from his very rich deep brown, to a tan! I feel terrible; I hope he isn't too flustered.

CassieLEO
12-05-2010, 01:51 AM
My Plecos arent territorial at all...

Pleco380
12-05-2010, 01:58 AM
My 2 clown plecos came after I got the leopard pleco. The leopard didn't care. I sold him because he'd get too big. But the 2 clowns ignore each other most the time. Sometimes they'll hang out. But there is one male and one female (not 100% positive about genders though), so a the male isn't aggressive.

If you have a reliable LFS near you, why not see if they'll take him?