PDA

View Full Version : What is the most amount of hours to keep on aquarium lights?

Fish buddy
11-11-2010, 07:12 AM
So my question is how long is a good amount of hours to keep my aquarium light on for my live aquarium plants?I am using a bulb of 6500k spectrum.

Cliff
11-11-2010, 07:26 AM
I never have my lights on for longer than 9 hours. It could be 8, can't remember exaclty what I have my timer set for. For my set-up, any longer lighting period just results in more algea.

What type of plants do you have ?

Lady Hobbs
11-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Nine or 10 for me, as well.

funkman262
11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
I've always run my tank at a 4-on, 4-off, 4-on cycle and NEVER had any issues with algae. I recently decided to switch it to just 12-on and my tank is filled with green water now.

CGY_Betta_Guy
11-11-2010, 04:54 PM
11 hours straight for me with 2 hours of low level moonlight on either side and no issues with algae but my tank is a complete jungle. My CUC is doing a decent job on anything that does come up.

Depending on the type of plants, size of your tank and how heavily planted it is I would suggest turning your lights on for 8 hours to begin with (possibly broken with a siesta like Funkman). Assess the health of your plants after a month and increase or decrease accordingly if you notice deficiencies or heavy algae growth.