PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering ....

mermaidwannabe
11-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Are green or purple bettas dyed? I've seen both, and am just wondering if they're bred that color or has it been injected?

-- mermaidwannabe
:ariel:

the_K
11-11-2010, 06:43 AM
no they are not dyed. you can get green if you breed two royal blues together. you will also get steal blues and royal blues if you where to breed royal blues to gather and as for the purple are you referring to the copper purple or the kinda purple you sometimes see on the salamander patters? the copper shad of purple is simple. the copper gene is basically double metallic steal blue and the reason there is copper purple is because there is a hint of red thats why it looks purple. as for the salamander shad of purple. the salamander pattern has a strong red under layer and the blue layer is on top of the red layer and sometimes the blue coat isnt thick enough so the red color kinda blends with the blue making the purple look. you can learn some stuff about bettas genetics if you want to take the time to research about them and learn some from breeding if you have the chance. heres a site i kindda like, ooh also the guy who created the site also created a bettas forum called bettas4all.nl if you want to get into more about genetics (the guys name is joep, hes a scientist from the UK that has a interest in betta genetics and breeding/showing) anyways heres the site for some genetic help
http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AAB.htm

VoidParadigm
11-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Greens and purples are both able to occur naturally in bettas.
Glass-type fish, ie: transparent or pale fish are the species that get dyed, because the dye will show up more brightly in that kind of fish than the generally darker-scaled bettas.

mermaidwannabe
11-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Good to know they don't dye them. The greens are beautiful. If I were to have a Betta, I would choose a green one. Don't plan on having any, though.

Thanks for all the info. Very educational!

-- mermaid
:ariel:

kurly
11-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Bettas are beautiful fish with so much personality! I actually had one that had both green and purple in him. My daughter wanted one and after we got her Betta I went out the next day and got one for me. Sadly they both died but both lived for several years.

That was 5 years ago and my introduction to this wonderful and enjoyable hobby called fishkeeping. :fish: :fish:

I've graduated from a 2.5 mini-bow to a 65 gallon tank and haven't looked back!