PDA

View Full Version : Help! sick betta =(

fishn00b
11-10-2010, 01:38 AM
My betta lives alone in a 5 gallon tank, filtered with some live plants.

A couple days ago I noticed he had become really lethargic and stopped eating.

I also noticed white patches on him. i wasnt sure what to do, or if anything could be done. I talked to a co worker of mine who keeps fish and he suggested it is most likely Ich. So i promptly went to the local pet store and bought Rid Ich+ and went home and immediatly put the proper dose into the tank, and removed the filter cartridge as it contains carbon which i have been told is a no-no while treating for Ich.

He perked up a little bit right off the bat, but that may have just been due to stress. several hours have passed and he's back to laying on the bottom of the tank. I thought he was dead for a minute then he shot up to the top for some air. I fear I may have been too late in my treatment, or perhaps its not actually ich and its a fungal infection of some sort. I have read that adding some salt to the tank can help this..should I just wait and follow the instructions on the medicine bottle? I don't want to wake up to a dead fish but i fear I was too little or too late :( </3

fishn00b
11-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Really? No feedback? Sorry for my impatience he is still alive, gills moving, has difficulty swimming...I took him out of the tank and put him in a bowl with fully clean water as I am thinking there must be a fungus infection in my tank. I have read adding sea salt is an OK treatment, someone please offer some advice because I really don't want to flush him. He looks so miserable though.

Sarkazmo
11-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Without a pic of the affected fish there's little to do but guess. It could be ICH, but it looks like salt crystals, it could be a fungus, it could be a bacterial infection. Lethargy is a symptom of everything from disease to water that's too cold, to constipation. It's likely to be fungus if it's in patches so treating with a general fungus cure may help. If this was early treatment I'd recommend Melafix but if it's bad he needs something along the lines of maybe API's Fungus Cure or some other general fungus treatment.

Sark

fishn00b
11-11-2010, 03:36 AM
There I attached a photo of him to this post. hopefully someone can see it. He seems to maintain that position, believe it or not yes he is definitely alive. You can see one of the white fuzzy patches. i cleaned the whole tank and put general fungus medication in. Temp is around 81 degrees F Any other suggestions? Is there any chance he will recover?

fishn00b
11-11-2010, 03:41 AM
He switched positions. This is his other side. more white patches near the tail and around the gills. I guess this seems crazy I just am determined to fix him, if its possible.