PDA

View Full Version : So what do ya think...am I full?

kimmers318
04-25-2006, 01:55 AM
I have a 64 gallon (footprint 36x18", 24" tall) and I believe I am full now, finally! Tell me what ya think
4 corycats (1 albino, 1 bronze, 2 orange lazer)
1 bolivian ram
2 small clown loaches (will be rehomed to existing 90 gallon when full grown)
6 sparkling/pygmy gourami
3 danios (1 zebra, 1 pearl, 1 gold?smaller than zebra, gold in color)
1 rummynose tetra
2 white skirt tetras
2 honey gourami
2 dwarf gourami(not there currently, healing in quarantine from my german ram in another tank)
1 german blue ram (also healing in quarantine from male german ram, Demon...when she grows up may try her with male again)
1 oto (started with 4, 3 died)

I realize now the tetras should have schooling numbers, but the kids bought them, and I really don't want more. Thankfully they interact with other fish and seem happy. If there is any room for anything else I would be surprised! With my sparkling gourami's just starting to peek out and see the world, things look kinda empty!

rollie
04-25-2006, 02:09 AM
64 gallon, nice size tank. now this is me, but i would put more fish in, maybe another 20. you only have smaller types of fish in there. i would add more, unless you are happy with what you got.

William
04-25-2006, 03:35 AM
I think I would add some more fish of the secies you allready got. I would add so that I had a pair of the bolivian rams, perhaps a few more female german ram since the aggression of the male are spread out over the females then and because germans rams are very beautiful when they breed.

I would also add some Tetras so that you had 6-10 rummynose tetra and white skirt tetras. they look much better when kept in schools.

kimmers318
04-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Well, my male g. ram is in my 29 gallon. The original plan in that tank was 1 male, 2 females, and the pair of kribs, and the 2 male dwarf gourami's. Demon, the male german ram has had other ideas and wouldn't tolerate the females, the dwarfs or the b. ram! Even though the b. ram is so much bigger than he is Demon kept her cornered and beat her up so she had to be rehomed into the 64 gallon. Sissy, my bolivian ram is quite happy being with her peaceful tankmates! The female g. ram is awaiting transfer to the 64 gallon, although I may give her 1 more chance with Demon when she is mature. She was younger and smaller. He is doing fine with the kribs, kuhlis and gold tetras in there. Because of this I am leery of getting another b. ram for sissy...no more tanks available to rehome! Do you think Demon would work out better in the 64 gal with the female? He is MEAN!
I KNEW you guys would say get more rummy and white skirt, but like I said, they were my daughters purchases, not exactly my favorite fish, but thankfully they seem happy running around with other fish. The rummynose always has his red face colored brightly, and the white skirts are the only fish always out, not hiding.
And btw Rollie....are fish lovers EVER happy with what they have???? LOL

rollie
04-25-2006, 12:05 PM
no, we always want more.!

kimmers318
04-25-2006, 12:55 PM
You got that right....more....more....more, which is partly how I ended up with 4 tanks of my own, 1 for my daughter and hubby has 2!

rollie
04-25-2006, 01:19 PM
oh yes, i only have 55 tanks set up, with fish in them! one of them is 6 feet long and hold 100 gallon of water! plus i just brought 15 more, for to set up!!!

William
04-25-2006, 08:13 PM
ok. True that fish lovers never have enough fish.

Perhaps you should consider getting more algea eaters. 1 on 20 gallon of water is usually good to have.

kimmers318
04-26-2006, 03:55 AM
I am not sure about the algae eaters William...I had 4 otos, and had lost 3 fairly soon after getting them. I know they aren't the easiest of fish to bring home, and frequently don't make it. The problem is is that when they do die, they aren't exactly the most seen fish in a tank either...so then I have to go looking for the bodies....eeeewwww! I have considered it though...and would probably try again if I found the zebra otos. I have not yet seen true SAE's around here, although if I tried real hard I could probably order them, but then would have to make sure they are SAE's so I didn't end up with aggressive non algae eating buggers.

William
04-26-2006, 04:25 AM
You don't have to go with otos. There are other more visable and hardier species such as the bristlenosed catfish.

rollie
04-26-2006, 10:42 AM
otos? type of plec or what. never heard that before.

kimmers318
04-26-2006, 11:33 AM
But would it be a good idea to add a bristlenose catfish with existing 4 cory and 2 clown loach? I don't know much about them because I haven't seen them so I haven't researched them. Thankfully without live plants in the aquariums my algae problem is now minimal. When I first started I tried live plants and had algae like crazy because I don't have enough light for plants and they just kept dying. But several of my fish loved to nibble on the plants so I kept replacing them figuring what the heck, good food for fish! Do the bristlenose swim all over the tank and not hang at the bottom like the corys do? My clowns pretty much are all over all of the time, but generally feed on the bottom unless it is something yummy like bloodworms....then they come running to get their fair share!
Otocinclus (sp? not sure) are small around 2" algae eaters that are very non aggressive. As far as I have seen mine haven't eaten anything but algae.

rollie
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
do not know much about bristlenose catfish. otocinclus are non aggressive, in my book. i have them. clown loach will swimm, all over the tank but will grow to one foot in length!! in it home land, it is classed as the food fish. LIVE PLANTS DO NOT MAKE ALGAE!! if you was getting algae, it was because your tank was getting to much light. live plants will help to keep algea from growing!!

William
04-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Bristlenosed catsfich will move close to all substrates in the tank not just the bottom. IE also sides, on decorations etc.

Madc0ws
04-26-2006, 11:55 PM
I'd love to see it when you're all finished,care to post pictures?

kimmers318
04-27-2006, 12:03 AM
You are right Rollie...plants don't cause algae...but not enough light for said plants causing them to constantly die...which leads to pieces of rotting vegetation floating around all of the time certainly didn't help my tank! I have java fern in my 10 gallon which is doing fine, light is enough and although I still get small spots of algae...nothing like what I first saw in my 64 gallon.

rollie
04-27-2006, 12:08 AM
java fern and java moss do not need much light. water spite(floating) may grow in your tank to. you will always have abit of algae in your tank.