PDA

View Full Version : Gravid minnows?

mermaidwannabe
11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I suspect three of my minnows might be gravid. Their bellies are white and they are quite plump, though not in the way of being bloated. When the light is just right, I can see a shadowy string of something inside, like maybe eggs?

I have no intention of raising the fry, if any. There are plenty of floating plants they can hide in, and nature can take its course. I simply don't have the means to separate them and raise them separately. I do occasionally put fry food in the tank for the tiny mouths of my adult minnows to handle, and they do eat it, though not as enthusiastically as I would like (see my posts about finickyness among my minnows).

The rest of my minnows are still fairly slender.

There has been what looked like courtship behavior, as in-tandem "dancing", including swimming backward in tandem, tail-shaking and fin flaring. I witnessed this in a pair of them, and also there has been some chasing. So, not surprising if some babies turn up, soon.

Pretty neat. I've never had fish spawn in captivity before.

-- mermaidwannabe

VoidParadigm
11-11-2010, 05:04 PM
If you've got striped minnows, chances are you won't ever see successful fry.
Mountain minnows there's a higher chance of it, but only slightly as iirc it's only the direct parents that won't go cannibal on the kids.

mermaidwannabe
11-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I have White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Lots of floating plants, and if I see fry, I'll make it a point to feed with the Baby Bites. There are also caves the fry can hide in. I know there will probably be a high cannabalizing rate, as nature is nature. If I had a separate fry tank, I might try raising them, but just don't have the means right now.

Still, it would be cool if even one or two survive and grow. Free minnows! More are always welcome.

-- mermaid