PDA

View Full Version : The part about lighting that escapes me ...

thedeanorama
11-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Alrighty, I'm trying to figure out what I am going to light my new 24" 15g rimless with.

WPG from what I understand does not necessarily compute with these smaller tanks. I've now (through finishing the internet cover to cover) come across people using anything from 24w all the way up to 130w on a 24" 15g.

My intention is to do another tank (plant wise) similar to what I've done in my journal (see link in sig) but most likely with more varieties. So moderate high to high lighting would be desired. I will be offsetting with Flugal's new mini co2 when it comes on the market (which will be before I'm done collecting parts for this tank .. xma$ coming and all).

I'm willing to order from pretty much anywhere that supplies electronics so long as the shipping to Canada isn't out of this world. If I can find it in the correct voltage I would definitely look at the ones supplied from asia based on initial price points downside is the ones I've come across are all 220v.

With all that being said ... back to my originally intended query ... 48w? 64w? 96w? 130w? So many watts, not enough experience (blush)

MCHRKiller
11-08-2010, 03:17 AM
Most of the small tanks need more WPG comes down to tanks under 10gallons. It also depends on the type of lighting that you are using. 3-4watts of HOT5 per gallon is going to be very high lighting, where 3-4 watts of NO T8 lighting is going to be less intense. Everything in the aquarium hobby is subjective at best :14:

Here is my opinion if you want a "high" light tank, either get a 48watt 2x24watt HOT5, or a 65watt PC fixture. The height of a 15G means you wont need as much light to reach the bottom of the tank, thus you dont need crazy intense lighting. Due to the T5s efficiency...it will actually be brighter than the PC. I would rank the PC as moderate-high, and the T5 as high.

thedeanorama
11-08-2010, 03:33 AM
Most of the small tanks need more WPG comes down to tanks under 10gallons. It also depends on the type of lighting that you are using. 3-4watts of HOT5 per gallon is going to be very high lighting, where 3-4 watts of NO T8 lighting is going to be less intense. Everything in the aquarium hobby is subjective at best :14:

Here is my opinion if you want a "high" light tank, either get a 48watt 2x24watt HOT5, or a 65watt PC fixture. The height of a 15G means you wont need as much light to reach the bottom of the tank, thus you dont need crazy intense lighting. Due to the T5s efficiency...it will actually be brighter than the PC. I would rank the PC as moderate-high, and the T5 as high.

That is great input, thanks! I didn't know there was that level of difference between PC and T5 HO, anything to get me away from PC would be great .. had a heck of a time getting the ones I have now in 6700k.

MCHRKiller
11-08-2010, 04:43 AM
65watt PC bulbs/fixtures are very easily found...probably the most commonly available. So you would probably have an easier time finding them than the ones for your cube. If you arnt doing pressurized CO2...I would go for the PC due to the lower intensity of the lighting. With the HOT5...youd have to have pressurized. You could get away with DIY CO2 with the PC IMO.

thedeanorama
11-08-2010, 04:53 AM
65watt PC bulbs/fixtures are very easily found...probably the most commonly available. So you would probably have an easier time finding them than the ones for your cube. If you arnt doing pressurized CO2...I would go for the PC due to the lower intensity of the lighting. With the HOT5...youd have to have pressurized. You could get away with DIY CO2 with the PC IMO.

The ones that are in my cube are 2x24w inline pinned PC. I had to special order them from the states, apparently 24w mainly falls under the purview of 50/50 and 10k for reefs . I'm doing DIY in my cube and it seems to be doing okay. I still find I need to toss in a little excel here and there to supplement but not as much as if I wasn't running a DIY.

The 15g is getting the pending co2 20 or 88 system from Fluval. Should be out here late Nov early Dec. After DIY I want the finer control over things that mechanical brings to the table.