PDA

View Full Version : Feeding my Cherry Shrimp

kurly
11-06-2010, 05:37 PM
If there is plenty of algae on the plants and driftwood do I still need to feed my shrimp? I have something called Shrimp Cuisine that I could feed them but I'm thinking that I may not need to give this to them because every time I check on them, they are all over the plant leaves and driftwood chowing down.

Just want to make sure they are getting enough food but I also don't want to over feed them.

Thanks

Sarkazmo
11-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Even if it's a well established tank, with lots of bio-film for them to feed on, you should give them some food to make sure they're getting everything they need. RCS need very little food though. A flake or two of regular fish food every 2-3 days is enough to keep several shrimp going.

Sark

kurly
11-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Okay, I'll give them a couple flakes of fish food today.

Thanks!

*Looks like a couple of them are getting their exra nutrition, they are sharing an exoskeleton which is always good to see.

~Col~
11-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I alternate every time I feed mine. One day I'll drop in a 1/4 of a algae wafer, then in a few days time I'll drop in two of the tiny vege wafers and then maybe a few days after that a few fish pellets.

I feed mine every 2-3 days. I currently have approx 7 adults, 5 juvenilles and a heap of teenee tiny babies that are too small and too many to count. LOL!!

kurly
11-08-2010, 12:35 AM
lol.... Thanks Col, That's the kind of information that I was looking for :ssmile:

korith
11-08-2010, 02:49 AM
I have several hundred shrimp in one tank, I usually drop an algae wafer or two in there. Depending on how long it takes to disappear, it gives me an idea of how often and how much to drop in there. I try not to add too much to the tank though, I have safely not fed them for 2-3 weeks at a time, they survive off of whatever is in the tank, algae or plants or off micros on the sponge filter. Try adding a small chunk of algae wafer to the tank, see how long it takes to poof, then go from there.