PDA

View Full Version : 2010 outdoor fish pond

mermaidwannabe
11-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Here's my outdoor fish pond, containing my four goldies and several snails, all hiding beneath the colorful pond lilies and lotus flower.

WhiteDevil
11-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Very nice flora in that pond, makes me wonder if I could use those in my 210 for cover, are they potted or planted down low?

Northernguy
11-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Nice pic!
How big is the pond?

mermaidwannabe
11-06-2010, 03:06 PM
In answer to the first question, the water lilies, lotus and bare lilypads are artificial. They just float on the top of the water. They come with weights that can be used to hold them in one place. My LFS sells them. I also got a huge bunch from Big Lots, since they were selling them for $1.00 each -- all different colors! Foster and Smith has a few in their pond catalog. Mostly, though, they sell living plants.

The pond isn't that large. I don't know the exact gallonage, but it is a huge planting tub I got from our garden center, which I buried in the ground up to its rim. It's about four feet long, 20 inches wide and 18 inches deep, approximately. The goldfish are small. I put gravel and rocks in the bottom of it, and use a birdbath agitator propped up on flat rocks to keep the water moving.

This shows how beautiful and lifelike fake aquatic plants can be. And no hassle with trying to grow them or keep them alive.

I would occasionally purchase live duckweed to feed the goldies, but that is the only live plant I put in my pond.

The lilies provide excellent cover for the fish, as well as shade on hot days.

-- mermaidwannabe

oscarkid36
12-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Here's my outdoor fish pond, containing my four goldies and several snails, all hiding beneath the colorful pond lilies and lotus flower.
very nicethumbs2: