PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have This Book?

A340
06-25-2007, 05:43 AM
I'm hoping to have my nano reef tank (10g) started by the end of summer. Anyway, I've seen this book ...

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Nano-reef-Handbook-Ultimate-Guide-Christopher-Brightwell/9780793805723-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+'nanoreef'&sterm=nanoreef+-+Books

... selling for $40 plus at most pet stores. Chapters has it for $20. Does anyone have it, and if yes, is it worth buying?

Don't ask me why the link isn't working, just copy and paste into your browser.

crackatinny
06-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Sometimes removing the http// from the front works, but I tried that for you, and in this case it did not, funny how some links don't work, but copying and pasting into the browser does work.

Fishguy2727
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't have it yet, but need to get it. I have heard it is really good. And if you are planning anything smaller than 55, get it. There is no way it could make you a worse fishkeeper.

cocoa_pleco
06-25-2007, 05:06 PM
i have aquariums for dummies and the saltwater stuff is good

Rue
06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Looks like it might be a good book!

I was unimpressed by the SW and FW Dummy books...a whole lot of information but really not enough to know what you're doing.

I have 3 SW books...and they're all fine...but none worth recommending...so I'm on the lookout for a good one too...

I didn't know the definition of nano was 15g and under. That's good to know too!

A340
06-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Sometimes removing the http// from the front works, but I tried that for you, and in this case it did not, funny how some links don't work, but copying and pasting into the browser does work.
Yeah, I tried that as well, but for some reason it doesn't want to work. Maybe because the page was found using an internal search engine on the Chapters site? Thanks for the tip though!

I don't have it yet, but need to get it. I have heard it is really good. And if you are planning anything smaller than 55, get it. There is no way it could make you a worse fishkeeper.
Thats the one thing interests me about it, that it is specificially for Nano Reef tanks, given that their set ups and care can be quite different as opposed to a traditional reef tank set up.

i have aquariums for dummies and the saltwater stuff is good
I have the SW for Dummies book as well. It's good for a quick reference, but I find that it doesn't go into enough detail or explain the reasoning why very well. I have many other books for FW (not the Dummies one though) and I find they explain things in a much more detailed way.

Looks like it might be a good book!

I was unimpressed by the SW and FW Dummy books...a whole lot of information but really not enough to know what you're doing.

I have 3 SW books...and they're all fine...but none worth recommending...so I'm on the lookout for a good one too...

I didn't know the definition of nano was 15g and under. That's good to know too!
Nano (meaning small :ezpi_wink1: ) Reefs, from what I have read are smaller than 15g (according to this book), 20g according to other soureces, 33g according to yet other sources. Personally, I feel that a Nano Reef can't be in a tank bigger than 20g, a true Nano Reef would be 10g or less though.

I guess I'll order it, can't really go wrong for $20. Let everyone know how it is when it arrives!

Fishguy2727
06-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I have and read The Complete Idiot's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums. It is probably at the same level as the dummies, they are good for the beginner to get introduced to the hobby. No one book will get you ready for a tank. Start with one of these intro books, get one or more of the profile books that is mainly just a bunch of profiles of all the different species, then get books more specific to what you are planning (nano, clownfish, etc.). Then what doesn't make sense try to get clarified on a good forum and good people in a good LFS.

A340
06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
No one book will get you ready for a tank. Start with one of these intro books, get one or more of the profile books that is mainly just a bunch of profiles of all the different species, then get books more specific to what you are planning (nano, clownfish, etc.). Then what doesn't make sense try to get clarified on a good forum and good people in a good LFS.
Couldn't agree more. However, before buying a book. You really need to sit down and look at it in depth. Even with the more specific books, I find that they only provide a very general basis for tanks and their species.

cocoa_pleco
06-25-2007, 10:38 PM
to me, microreef is .5-5g, nano is 5g-20g, and reef is 20g-infinity

Fishguy2727
06-25-2007, 10:48 PM
I personally consider nano as under 15 or so, but I think anyone with a tank under 55 or so can benefit from learning about nano tank techniques.

Rue
06-26-2007, 12:20 AM
...so I'm officially in no-man's land (as far as labels go) with my 34g?

Do I count the entire volume of the tank including the sump...or just the display (29g)?

kkyyllee
06-26-2007, 12:35 AM
pico- <5 gallons, nano-<30(id count the red sea max under this) regular->30

A340
06-26-2007, 12:35 AM
...so I'm officially in no-man's land (as far as labels go) with my 34g?

Do I count the entire volume of the tank including the sump...or just the display (29g)?

Nah, you're a full fledged Salt Water aquarist .. :19:

I would imagine you would only count the volume in the display tank.

Fishguy2727
06-26-2007, 02:17 AM
The whole system counts because if there is 29 gallons of display and 10 gallons in the sump, you aren't maintaining 29 gallons water, you are maintaining 39 gallons.

A340
06-26-2007, 03:10 AM
The whole system counts because if there is 29 gallons of display and 10 gallons in the sump, you aren't maintaining 29 gallons water, you are maintaining 39 gallons.
But you're only displaying 29g. Just my 2 cents. BTW, book is ordered, should be here in a couple of days. Won't get around to reading it until the weekend though, my 3.5 day work "week" starts tomorrow afternoon.

Fishguy2727
06-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah, but the tough thing about nano is that it is such a small body of water that you have to be careful about what you are doing to not have it crash. It is a 29 gallon tank, but it is still as easy to care for as a 39 gallon system. Most nanos don't have sumps anyways though.

Rue
06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
It's listed as 34g...but has the 29g display...

I'm calling the other 5g area a sump...even though it's behind the tank and not below...it houses the heater, protein skimmer, sponge filters, etc., so as far as I understand...that's a sump...

Just no refugium...but I suppose you could set one up below the tank in the cabinet...there's room there for a chiller...

A340
06-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Just no refugium...but I suppose you could set one up below the tank in the cabinet...there's room there for a chiller...
There is another tank like your's on the market, I don't know who builds it (its in one of my magazines, I'll have to look it up), anyway, it's the same cube set up as yours with everything in the back but with a built in refigium including a seperate light for it as well. Very, very nice system.

Here you go for those interested ....

http://www.aqua-medic.com/nano.shtml

.... it's only a 9g tank, but has 5w/g lighting, dual lunar lights, full filteration, protein skimmer and refigium w/light, no price though.

Rue
06-26-2007, 10:47 PM
How cute is that?

That's not what you're getting, is it?

A340
06-26-2007, 11:02 PM
How cute is that?

That's not what you're getting, is it?
I'd like to take a look at one. I'm not sure if I'm using my 10g for my nano or buy a cube. I haven't seen any of these particular models in Canada though. I'm thinking, no bigger than 10g though, Live Rock is just so darned expensive .... :ezpi_wink1: