PDA

View Full Version : Ranchu Gold feesh

PandaLUV
11-05-2010, 04:12 AM
just a quick question.

do u reckon a single ranchu well in a 20-24g tank, somthing like that big dont know exact size sorry. just wondering if bio load will be to much, or if it will suffer serious stunting. btw i have an aqua clear 200 if that make snay difference.

thanks guys

Xavier
11-05-2010, 04:47 AM
20gal for a single ranchu is fine. That is the base minimum for a fancy goldfish. That being said, my 3 ranchus group up together. They swim together, break off for 10-15 seconds, group for 2 mins, and repeat. If I were to split them up, I fear they would get very lonely. More ranchus would require a larger tank though, so I know that that might not be possible.

PandaLUV
11-05-2010, 09:01 AM
i might get a few cories which might keep him entertained... idk. but i didnt think gold fish were shoaling fish? thought they were fine on their own. please correct me if im wrong.

ty for response btw

Xavier
11-05-2010, 04:28 PM
They aren't shoaling fish, but for some reason my ranchus stick together. The common goldfish I had before would be all over the place, never grouping for any amount of time. The ranchus on the other hand seem to stick together, rarely are they alone for very long. It might just be my fish.

As for other fish in the tank, be careful... nothing survived with my ranchus. They pick at anything that isn't another goldfish, and in the case of my fish, team up to harass a target. I had to move my 5 inch BN pleco since the 3 inch ranchus were picking at its head and eye to get at the zucchini the BN was feeding on.