PDA

View Full Version : No home for pleco

Xavier
11-05-2010, 02:37 AM
I have been trying to re-home my juvenile common pleco (2-3 inches) for 2 weeks now with no success. Not one hit on my ad, here or craigslist. Maybe I scared off most people by saying that they needed a large tank, despite the pleco being free.

He has stopped looking for algae, or caring about zucchini, and just waits until I feed the goldfish in the morning and at night, eating the sinking NLF pellets. Problem is he can't seem to find them on his own, so he ignores the 2-3 pellets near him and follows the goldfish, swimming under them and eventually locking on to one of the pellets, then swimming backwards to a hiding spot. After 45 seconds, he drops that piece and goes in search of another one... and there better be one left, or he starts following the goldfish again, occasionally swimming up to bump and chase them.

Tonight it was just too much, and he was chasing the smallest ranchu around the tank and back again. I netted him and put him in a 2L container as I prepared the 5gal bucket for him. He'll spend the night in there and tomorrow he'll be put in a bag and brought to my LFS. I have the receipt, but I don't want anything for him... he deserves a big tank free of goldfish. I wanted to avoid the LFS return...

Little Algernon:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/507/thumbs/A2.JPG (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=19337)

Brhino
11-05-2010, 02:57 AM
Sorry you're having such trouble. Unfortunately, they're called "common" for a reason. The market is saturated with people who found out they get bigger than expected.

Xavier
11-05-2010, 04:54 AM
Well, what I've discovered with plecos is that they don't co-habitat well with other fish. The common pleco would be in the betta tank right now, and since the betta eats at the surface, ignoring any food that goes past the first 2 inches of water, they would not fight for food.... but the BN is in the betta tank since it was hurting my goldfish by slapping them about while trying to eat.

I could put the common pleco with the BN in the betta tank but I'm sure they would both get territorial... 15gal just ain't big enough for 2 plecos...

bob saget
11-05-2010, 05:53 AM
its really too bad. he looks very cute. if you were in vancouver i would grab him from you.