PDA

View Full Version : Are there any entirely aquatic FW crabs?

mermaidwannabe
11-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Are there any freshwater crabs that are strictly aquatic, i.e., no need to provide them with any dry land? If I got any crabs, I would want the kind that can live full-time in my aquarium with the fish.

-- mermaid

Sursion
11-05-2010, 12:34 AM
I don't think so. If there are, I'd imagine they're hard to find. All I ever see for sale are Red-Claw Crabs.

JohnnyRaggs
11-23-2010, 04:34 AM
Yes there are. I had one once, way back in the day. Can't remember what the name of the little guy was, but he was fully aquatic and freshwater. I have not seen any since though.

mermaidwannabe
11-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Time to do some Googling ...

-- mermaid

poloman579
02-03-2011, 12:30 AM
There are some thai mini crabs that are truely aquatic but im not sure where to get ahold of them.

skullduggery1
02-03-2011, 01:03 AM
I am sorry,I know you said crabs ,but........how about a cameroon fan shrimp?(vampire)they get large and are crab-like(totally peaceful)about 12 dollars online order.

Fisharefriends27
02-03-2011, 01:08 AM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=1075 you could see what you can get even though most are lobsters :)

Good Luck!

skullduggery1
02-03-2011, 01:13 AM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=1075 you could see what you can get even though most are lobsters :)

Good Luck!
apparently on live aquaria they are called viper shrimp.12 dollars more than some sites.Still a cool critter.

mermaidwannabe
02-03-2011, 02:35 AM
These would have to be coldwater creatures, since I have a coldwater tank. I'll look them up.

-- mermaid

Cliff
02-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Could these be what your looking for ?

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/misc_critters/crabs.htm

Alasse
02-03-2011, 02:49 AM
Australia has a few freshwater crabs. The majority of the time they stay in the water, but they do however require a branch or root that protrudes above the surface (not near tank sides) that they can come out if they want.

So a fully aquatic crab, not here anyway :)

skullduggery1
02-03-2011, 02:50 AM
The "do not need to come out of water" is a sales pitch.Eventually they will escape or climb into the filter(if it is a external flow one)and die.That smells terrific.

skullduggery1
02-03-2011, 03:07 AM
Australia has a few freshwater crabs. The majority of the time they stay in the water, but they do however require a branch or root that protrudes above the surface (not near tank sides) that they can come out if they want.

So a fully aquatic crab, not here anyway :)
Australia has so many great aquatic species that the U.S just can not find regularly.

lady luck
01-24-2012, 06:26 AM
I actually just bought 3 fullie aquadic crabs there called fresh water crabs i bought them from wal mart

lady luck
01-24-2012, 06:28 AM
These crabs are hard to find but they have not tryed to climb out or clime a branch these crabs actually are fullie aquadic

lady luck
01-30-2012, 11:42 PM
If your still looking i found fullie aquatic crabs

Alasse
01-31-2012, 04:23 AM
Can you post a link to them please?

redfan
07-13-2012, 05:42 AM
Are there any freshwater crabs that are strictly aquatic, i.e., no need to provide them with any dry land? If I got any crabs, I would want the kind that can live full-time in my aquarium with the fish.

-- mermaid

I once had a Panther crab that despite providing dry land access he never ventured out of the water, save for climbing round the filter popping head out for a few secs (most of him remained submerged) so maybe that's an option .. he was really cool.

redfan
07-13-2012, 05:42 AM

-- mermaid

I once had a Panther crab that despite providing dry land access he never ventured out of the water, save for climbing round the filter popping head out for a few secs (most of him remained submerged) so maybe that's an option .. he was really cool.

evilhorde
07-13-2012, 01:34 PM
I actually just bought 3 fullie aquadic crabs there called fresh water crabs i bought them from wal mart

If these are 'red clawed crabs' then they are most certainly not fully aquatic.

onneeye
07-13-2012, 02:01 PM
I bought these thai micro crabs at my local fish store. I got 6 for $20.

http://www.eliteinverts.com/thai-micro-crab/

The only downside there small and they like to hide. Harmless to other fish.

RainbowDragon28
08-28-2012, 08:14 PM

The crabs at Walmart are not fully aquatic. "Fresh Water Crabs" is way too vague which in reality just means they don't know the species. They just sell what is available at the time which would either be Fiddler Crabs or Red Claws.

I don't know of any crabs that don't need access to air. I own two Fiddlers that have adjusted to their enclouser well and only climb up the heater or filter to get some air and jump off back to the bottom to forage.

birdman1275
11-24-2013, 04:32 AM
yeah the poster that mentioned thai micro crabs was correct.

Thai micro crabs, fairly new to the trade, fully aquatic and no one has figured out how to breed them yet so they are harder to find. i've seen them mostly on line, they only reach about 1/2 an inch though so one needs to make sure they have suitable tank mates or they will be expensive fish food.