PDA

View Full Version : O-clownfish breeding.

Reefkeeper18
11-04-2010, 08:14 PM
So i have a 35g tank plenty of live rock pretty much stress free(except for when i use the algae scraper) with a pair of O-clowns. Is there anything I need or could to do encourage them to breed? I have a mated pair which have been in the tank for a month or so.

Reefkeeper18
11-04-2010, 10:53 PM
loool I need to ask much simpler questions...

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-04-2010, 11:17 PM
You really don't have to do anything, they will likely breed on their own. The difficult part is not getting them to spawn, the difficult part is raising the fry. You will need all the different size foods pre-hatched for each stage of development. While it can be done, raising clownfish fry is not something the average home aquarist can do. The issue is, that most marine fish go through a somewhat extended planktonic larval stage. This means you will need to have appropriate foods available for them.

Reefkeeper18
11-04-2010, 11:21 PM
I won't raise them ALL the way. Keep them untill they are juveniles and then trade them in for some store credit. I could make a reasonable amount of money if all goes well. breeding is also something i'm really interested in and think is cool. I'm going to start setting up nursery/ quarrentine tank. Is ten gallons enough? About how long do you think it'll be before they mate?(approxamitly)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-05-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't quite think you get it, what I mentioned is just to get them to a juvenile stage. You are going to need multiple 10gal tanks for live cultures of foods for the fry. You would have to get a good deal from your LFS for it to make any money. The investment is not a small thing. I would suggest you start by reading the following
http://www.breedclownfish.com/
It will give you a good idea of just what you are talking about getting into.

Reefkeeper18
11-05-2010, 02:14 AM
hmmm.... i c.... seems pretty complicated.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-05-2010, 02:20 AM
complicated, and labor intensive. Quite different from breeding FW fish.

Reefkeeper18
11-05-2010, 02:32 AM
well dont think I'll b breeding anyfish anytime

Lady Hobbs
11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
loool I need to ask much simpler questions...

Reefkeeper, your posts are not too hard for our reef keepers here because they are experts. But there are far more freshwater keepers here so when you ask a question, you simply must give the reef keepers a bit of time to respond since there are less of them on the forum and may be working or in school or away from their computer that moment. In three threads now, you have gotten impatient when you have not gotten an answer immediately.

Please give people time to answer your question and while you wait, do a bit of research on your own. There is much to learn in this hobby and researching will only help you in your journey.

labnjab
11-05-2010, 04:01 PM
So i have a 35g tank plenty of live rock pretty much stress free(except for when i use the algae scraper) with a pair of O-clowns. Is there anything I need or could to do encourage them to breed? I have a mated pair which have been in the tank for a month or so.

They may take years to breed if at all. We've had our pair of clowns for a year and they have yet to breed.

Reefkeeper18
11-05-2010, 08:01 PM
1st ooo crap i'm sry thought this was a site where you asked other ppl not experts my bad. just tried to get my post on the new post wall cuz i thought that was where ppl looked. had no idea u guys were supposed to reply to my thingy. and darn it. i was actually going to order the stuff today.... idk if i should because there is no guarentee they'l breed...

Lady Hobbs
11-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Everyone is very helpful here but just be more patience in waiting for your answer.