PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for driftwood

Catgirl78
11-03-2010, 01:33 AM
I am looking at buying some driftwood. I'm thinking of getting Mopani driftwood. Does anyone have experience with this type? I found it in the Pet Solutions catalog. I like that look better than the Malaysian driftwood. Also, is there a reputable website (or the best one) to buy driftwood from without ridiculous shipping charges? I still have to call the LFS to see if they have any in stock.

WhiteDevil
11-03-2010, 01:36 AM
my driftwood collection is about 95% mopani, yes it stains the water bad for a while but its just coloration and actually does help the fish live healthier. its cosmetics and can be soaked out in hot water over a period of a few weeks.

I highly recommend it, I only buy my wood from the LFS, I has shipped in cypress but the weight difference isnt even funny. Mopani is some heavy stuff.

your plecos will thrive on it too.

Catgirl78
11-03-2010, 01:38 AM
:ssuprised: What do you mean, it's heavy stuff? I don't want my stand to collapse!

WhiteDevil
11-03-2010, 01:40 AM
your stand wont collapse.

it sinks right away its a hard heavy wood. its dense.

R2 Ranch
11-03-2010, 12:01 PM
If your concerned about the dw.... leaching color you can always boil it until the water is clear. Sometime is might take several hours and many water changes. Good luck on your dw quest!!!

gadget228
11-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I got all my mopani wood from Dr Fosters+Smith, they have a flat shipping rate and their prices are a lot cheaper than my LFS, it's also on sale right now.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13985

Sasquatch
11-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Giving it a good boil is always a good idea. Makes sure it's sterile and leaches out a portion of the tannins that darken the water.

If your LFS has some, I'd suggest buying it there. You'll actually be able to choose the pieces, which will give you better control over the aquascaping. Buying online is often a potluck.

Scrup
11-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Local driftwood works pretty good too if you can find it, though its not as heavy as mopani and may require anchoring.

Catgirl78
11-06-2010, 02:22 PM
I decided to order from Pet Solutions. My LFS left a lot to be desired in that area. My husband also saw something he wanted from Pet Solutions for decorations and Dr Fosters+Smith didn't have anything similar. It'll be fun to redecorate the tank and watch the plecos enjoy the new driftwood!

Catgirl78
11-11-2010, 02:15 AM
My mopani driftwood arrived today from Pet Solutions. They are so fast with their shipping. They gave me an awesome piece - the one we actually had in mind, but the LFS didn't have it. It's now boiling in the pot.