PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Tank Only.. Acclimation Needed?

kurly
11-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Hi guys,
My Red Cherry Shrimp should be arriving today or tomorrow and I'm thinking about making my 10 gallon tank, a shrimp only tank to see if I can get them to breed without worrying about fish eating them. It's been a very long time since I have kept shrimp and I need to know if I need to acclimate the shrimp to my tank after they arrive?

The tank is 10 gallons, planted, has been running for 5 years and is holding a few Panda Tetras which is keeping it cycled. The Tetras will be moved to another tank after the shrimp arrive. It is filtered by an Aquaclear Filter which has a sponge on the intake to make sure that the shrimp won't get sucked into it.

Any tips or other information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sasquatch
11-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Acclimation is always a good idea. It's not a question of the conditions in your tank being good or not though. The reason we acclimate is to ease the transition from one water source to another. Both waters may be "good", but if one is alkaline and the other acid, the acclimation process will minimize the stresses on the animals.

rich311k
11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Shrimp can be more delicate than fish. Acclimation would still be a must.

Sarkazmo
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Very tiny amounts of food... VERY tiny amounts of food. You only need to feed once every two to three days. The tank having been set up for so long would have lots of bio-film for them to eat on. The shrimp have a very low bio-load compared to fish. You can easily keep 100 or more in a 10G. Keep up with weekly water changes and keep an eye on ammonia readings as even a small amount is detrimental.

Sark

PS: Oh, yeah, acclimation is VERY important.

kurly
11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
That's what I thought.

Thanks!

kurly
11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I drip acclimated my shrimp and all but one survived. They have plenty to eat from the plants and driftwood so I'm not going to drop any food in the tank for them. Not really sure when I should because the is really alot for them to eat from the plants, driftwood and sponge on the intake tube. Plus most of them are pretty small.