PDA

View Full Version : Algae wafers

Greentoads41
10-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Is it absolutely necessary to feed plecos algae wafers? Can't they just eat the algae in the tank? I have 2 clown plecos and they eat anything they can suck on, so they are stealing the other fishes' flake food. How can I make them stop ? I am also feeding brine shrimp to the other fish.

smaug
10-31-2010, 07:54 PM
common plecs and many other not so commons are not actually good algae eaters.They are very omniverous and even lean toward carnivorous.My sailfin clears out any dead fish that happen very quickly.No they dont need algae wafers but many of our members feed other veggys such as zuchinin and cucumber.

R2 Ranch
10-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Yes!!!! or some other type of sinking food. Do you offer your pleco's driftwood and fresh veggies?

smaug
10-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Not all plecs need driftwood.They will all suck on it to some extent but only a few like the clown actually eat it.

R2 Ranch
10-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Not all plecs need driftwood.They will all suck on it to some extent but only a few like the clown actually eat it.

So true.... I was referring to wood eating plecos ~Panaque species

smaug
10-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Thats what I get for skim reading posts!I see now that they are clowns,Im an idiot:help: To OP,,DO you have wood for them?:hmm3grin2orange: And they will NEVER eat algae:shappy:

bob saget
11-01-2010, 04:15 AM
when he was young, my guy didnt much like wafers, and when i tried cleaning them out in the morning, they would fall apart in my hands and dirty up the water. now i put half a pellet in along with either zucchini or cucumber and there is no algae wafer left in the morning.

Greentoads41
11-02-2010, 04:24 AM
Thanks all for the information. I will try feeding them vegetables, I heard cucumber and zucchini ARE really good food for plecos...I do have driftwood offered to my plecos and they really enjoy it. Can I just put the slices of cucumber in, or do I have to take some steps to bleach them or something for nutrition and to make the slices sink?

R2 Ranch
11-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi, Personally I use a fork to hold down the veggies. Just slice veggie and place on fork and it will sink to the bottom. Some say that you can dip the veggies in boiling water (blanching) it assist in sinking. Good Luck to you.

Greentoads41
11-03-2010, 03:16 AM
How long should the uneaten pieces of veggies stay sitting in the aquarium? Until they are all eaten?

bob saget
11-03-2010, 06:20 AM
How long should the uneaten pieces of veggies stay sitting in the aquarium? Until they are all eaten?

in my case, i leave them overnight, and take the rind out in the morning. be prepared to reach into your aquarium every morning to take it out so the water doesnt get too bad. make sure the pleco is not sitting on the vegetable when you pull it out. i almost did that once since there was not a lot of light. haha.

your fish will thank you for the veggis. the pleco will look fatter and more colorful i think.

R2 Ranch
11-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Yes I agree with bob saget, your plecos will love the veggies. It might take time for them to come around and eat the veggies. If I were you, you could try different types of veggies or fruit. My plecos go wild for watermelon and cantaloupe. And if I have a few green beans (canned) left over I feed them to the plecos. Surprising they eat them.

As far as length of time to leave veggies in your aquarium personally I leave my 8 to 10 hours. Most generally it is all gone with 4 hours.

Good Luck and don't give up on the veggie feeding, they'll come around.thumbs2:

CassieLEO
11-04-2010, 06:15 AM
They like Peas too! So dont many other of my fish in my tank!

Greentoads41
11-06-2010, 06:30 PM
R2 was right, I kept placing and replacing fresh cucumber in my tank, and today I caught one of my clown plecos vigorously eating a slice with an Australian rainbow trying to grab some too. Thanks for telling me to stick with it, and thanks for the advice all!!!