PDA

View Full Version : My 20-gallon-high coldwater

mermaidwannabe
10-30-2010, 03:41 AM
Here's one my scapes of my 20-gallon-high coldwater tank. Enjoy ....

-- Mermaidwannabe

KatzeSlaugen
10-30-2010, 02:01 PM
nice looking shubukin and hi-fin. whats your water change scheduel like and are you planning to rehome the shubby, hi-fin, and comets?

Lady Hobbs
10-30-2010, 02:06 PM
You need to read the growth chart in my signature for goldies. Your set-up may appear fine for now but it won't be for long or you'll have stunted fish. Small tanks should only be for small fish.

mermaidwannabe
10-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Since this photo was taken, the goldies have been rehomed. I submitted this pic because it's one of my favorites as far as scaping goes, as well as the brilliant colors of my fish.

The tank now contains minnows, danios, a Dojo, two very tiny hi-fin sharks, and snails. The hi-fins grow very, very slowly, and yes, I will rehome them as they gradually get larger.

I do weekly water changes and vacuum the gravel during most of them.

Do the rules allow submission of more than one photo from the same member for the "judge my photo" section? If this is allowed, I will submit a more recent one, which shows a rescape, as well as a more current population.

Meanwhile, please continue your feedback on this pic. I'd love to know your thoughts ...

-- Mermaidwannabe

KatzeSlaugen
10-30-2010, 05:11 PM
even though hi-fins grow slowly the GH will build up in the tank and you wont notice that theyve stopped growing and are stunted. you dont rehome a fish when it just doesnt fit in a tank because most fish's growth is determined partially by the GH in the water. you can very easily stunt a fish before its "too big" for the tank

mermaidwannabe
10-30-2010, 07:19 PM
For the sake of my education, how does the general hardness of the water affect the growth of the fish? What does that have to do with their growth?

May I submit other photos here, as well?

-- mermaidwannabe

Brhino
10-30-2010, 07:27 PM
GH in this case refers to Growth Hormone, not general hardness.

Fish secrete a hormone into the water related to growth. The fish can then detect the concentration of this hormone in the water, which partially determines whether the fish continues to grow or not. So, even if it's still a little fish, if it's in a small space the growth hormone concentrations in the water will be high, and the fish will stunt.

You're welcome to post as many pictures and threads as you'd like.

mermaidwannabe
10-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the info! I learned something.

Below, a more recent photo after the goldies were removed. I think you folks will really enjoy this one. I know I do.

-- mermaidwannabe

Lady Hobbs
10-30-2010, 07:45 PM
One photo per consent unless you have previously won but they must be the right size. Read contest rules.

Brhino
10-30-2010, 08:31 PM
she's not referring to the contests, just to posting in this "judge my photo" section.

mermaidwannabe
10-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Yes, I was only referring to here. Are we allowed to submit more than one photo to this forum? If not, please feel free to delete my second one. Not intentionally trying to break any rules. That's why I asked.

-- Mermaidwannabe

mermaidwannabe
10-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, okay. Since no one has indicated there is a maximum limit for submission in this regular "Judge My Photo" section, here is one more featuring a group of my minnows with the (faux) jellyfish and scenic surroundings.

lobsternoob
10-31-2010, 10:18 PM
No, judge my photo is just for fun as far as my understanding, there's no actual judging going on, other than just our opinions. As LH mentioned the rules for contests are different, but here you can post as many pics as you want. Basically this is just a subforum for people to tell you what they think of photographs you've posted, yours are nice, :)

I like how in this last one it almost looks like the wcmm are going to get eaten by a jellyfish, but there's no real threat, hehe kinda funny.

mermaidwannabe
10-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks, lobster. I was amazed when I saw these jellies in the LFS. They even had some in their own tanks. They sway in the current just like real jellies would, and I thought, "How fun!". They sold out of them pretty quickly. In my shubunkin pic, theres' the smaller yellow one. They come two to a package, and the larger one comes in a variety of jellyfish colors, while the littler one is always yellow.

I love this overall aquarium forum, I'm learning a lot and I love many of the pics posted by others. Great inspiration.

-- mermaidwannabe

mermaidwannabe
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM
A nice shot of the yellow jelly, plus surrounding scenery ...

-- mermaid

mermaidwannabe
11-02-2010, 11:07 PM
And, here are some minnows amid vivid aquascaping ...